Sign in to follow this  
Guest devolutionist_merged

Diff between Gigabyte P35's?

Guest devolutionist

I'm about 2 weeks out from pulling the trigger on a new mobo and was originally looking at the DFI LP DK P35-T2RS (which is how I ended up back here doing my research) and am pretty sure now that I'll be ditching that idea for one of the Gigabyte P35 boards. My only problem is that the documentation on the difference between the following variants is horrible:

1) GA-P35-DS3R

2) GA-EP35-DS3R

3) GA-P35C-DS3R

4) GA-EP35-DS3P

5) GA-P35-DS4

6) GA-EP35-DS4

From what I can tell they're all P35/ICH9R, have 8 SATA2's, have ALC889A audio, have 8 rear 4 on-board USB's, and all have at least standard ICH9R RAID. Here's what I gather are the differences:

1) GA-P35-DS3R

DDR2 only.

$129-ish

2) GA-EP35-DS3R

Note sure - specs seem identical to the GA-P35-DS3R

Might only support DDR2 @ 1066 and 1200

$129-ish

3) GA-P35C-DS3R

Supports DDR3 as well as DDR2.

$159-ish

4) GA-EP35-DS3P

2 PCI x16's, only has 2 PCI

has 2 firewire on back and one on board

$159-ish

5) GA-P35-DS4

Appears to only support DDR2 @ 1066

$179-ish

6) GA-EP35-DS4

Might have Matrix implementation for ICH9R RAID

$179-ish

Am I missing something or is this one of the worst naming conventions ever? I see no logic or common thread between the "E" or "C" series or the "DS3R", "DS3P" or "DS4". The DS4's both have 2xPCI x16's but so does the DS3P.

Maybe it's just late... or maybe I'm just a tard. I'm not proud and will admit that's entirely possible.

Either way I've got a couple of weeks to narrow my focus and hash all this out. Please help me edit/correct the above so that there's some place on the internet that has a coherent buying guide available for Gigabyte P35's.

For the record I'm leaning toward the GA-P35C-DS3R primarily because it of the DDR3 support that I can take advantage of next year or so. If anyone has any feedback on that particular variant I'd love to hear about that too. I'm all about grinding everything I can out of a motherboard before upgrading again.

Gotta go get my daily fix of TF2 now, so I can be in bed by 3am and get a solid 3 hrs of sleep. Thanks and a good f'ing night to all.

/d.

Newegg's comparison tool is your friend :)http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompa...N82E16813128087

From what I can tell the C indicates that it can use either DDR2 or DDR3 RAM and the E indicates that it natively supports higher speed RAM.

The G, L, R, and P seem to be related to the features on the board (# of ports, RAID support, etc).

Not sure on the difference between DS3 and DS4; could be different chipset revisions or different southbridges.

Guest devolutionist
Newegg's comparison tool is your friend

That's where I got 99% of the above, 'cause the comparison tool on Gigabyte's website buh-lows. Looks like you're right about the C and E designations. Darwin would love Gigabyte... so many variations on a theme.

BTW, after getting some coffee in me this AM I think I'm leaning towards the GA-EP35C-DS3R, because it does indeed support DDR2-800, which I've already got coming in the mail. The mail in rebate was going to expire on 1/31 so I pulled the trigger early on that and got the 2G of Corsair XMS2 from newegg for $34... I should've bought like six of those and sold them on ebay to help underwrite the rest of this project.

Guest devolutionist

well, the GA-EP35C-DS3R also supports the 45's, but i do see now that the DS4 series has the heat pipes for chipset cooling.