Sign in to follow this  
TheReaper

Question, Please read, 2 minute xp install

Hi all,

A few years ago I bought a pc from a clever Russian guy.

When it went wrong years later, before I knew anything about pc's, I went back to him & he plugged my int HDD into his pc, & seemed to spill or unzip a fresh (his own os) XP pro onto my HDD over my broken os & it was installed perfectly in what seemed to be no more than 2 minutes.

How the fcuk did he do that?

How can I do that? Maybe on a spare HDD so I don't have to Format & reinstall from cd everytime?

Did you have to reinstall any programs? If so, he could have kept a fresh install as an image/backup, and just loaded it to your HD, kinda like flashing a bios.

If you do a fresh install of windows then make a backup image of that, you can revert to a basic setup if something goes wrong. I think you would have to have a 2nd bootable drive though - to store the image and have the restore utility on it. Feel free to make periodic backup images of your drive to restore everything at once (OS/programs/data) if something goes wrong.

I use Acronis, and its worked really well for me so far.

I should use Acronis some more, I only tried it once but everyone seems to love it.

I like how Snapshot is such a small program that I can keep anywhere and run from Dos or Windows. I guess it's what you get accustomed to.

Yea, Acronis is a little more involved that Snapshot is. I could probably use that one more for setting up new drives and such. One is the more advanced version of the other it looks like:rolleyes:

Thanks, that sounds like what he did. Acronis, I'll try that.

Keep in mind your hardware has to stay pretty much (exactly) the same to avoid driver issues.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

or it could have been norton ghost, but acronis is more gui friendly :) (which i love)

That looks great, syngen, I'll keep it in mind.

Already have True Image 7 for myself. The installed program now errors out on creating backups (? even after complete removal and re-install) but the recovery CD still works fine for that.