Sign in to follow this  
Guest Berrern_merged

Zalman FC-ZV9 and SLI

Guest Berrern

Hi guys.

I'm running a pair of XFX 7800 GT graphic cards in SLI, and yesterday the stock cooler on one of them started making a terrible noise. After some inspection (which revealed nothing), I think that the fan is dying on me...

In other words, I need a new cooler.

The problem is that I'm running a DFI nF4 UT SLI-DR motherboard, which only has one slot between the two graphic cards. This doesn't leave much space for a cooler, and most of them are actually pretty large.

Now, I've been looking at the Zalman FC-ZV9 Fatal1ty cooler, which seems to have excellent performance, however I'm not sure if it would fit in my system. Unfortunately I don't have any way of measuring the space between the two graphic cards, but I think the cooler might fit. The cooler is 30 mm tall.

I was wondering - does anyone else have any experience with this?

I'd be very disappointed to buy this cooler, only to realize that it wont fit...

I hope someone can help!

my advice is to sell the two seperate card's add the money on from the cost of the third party cooler + a few quid more, and get an 8 series single slot card.

Guest Berrern

Thanks for your reply s1ick.

I've measured my case now, and there's no way this cooler will fit between my graphic cards.

Your suggestion actually sounds like a good one, however I do have two questions;

- Who would buy a card with a defective cooling? Either way, I'd have to replace the cooling on the card somehow.

- I've looked at a few alternatives for the 8-series, namely 8600GT Fatal1ty (256MB), 8800GT Alpha Dog (256MB), 8800GT XT Alpha Dog (512MB). Will any of these single 8-series card outperform my XFX 7800GT SLI setup?

go with the 256mb 8800GT If your gaming at 1680x1050 and want decent AA and AF you mite want the 512mb version.

yes one of these babys will stomp over your previous card(s) :)