Advise on new MOB

I am planning on a new build built around an E6750. I have no pans to OC the system and I think I prefer Nvida over Intel but not sure why.

I am looking for a quaility MOB but I don't need cutting sdge. Any ideas?

With AMD I think Nvidia chipsets were awesome but maybe not the best choice for a C2D setup. I would suggest a good 965P or P35, Abit, ASUS or Gigabyte do a great job there.

I think you need to set yourself a budget for your Mobo as expensive doesn't really mean better these days. Getting a board with a good customer knowledge base is a smart move, that way if you run into problems then there will almost certainly be someone who has encountered it.

id second branjo's advice. nvidia makes nice chipsets, but i think they arent all that usefull when not using SLI. id recommend against an E6750 though. better get a wolfdale cpu

My goal is to keep the cost of a new system below $1200 with everything. So I assumed that the CPU, MOB and GPU were the three most costly items. I allocated 300 to the GPU, and figured 200 each for the CPU and MOB. If I spend less on those itmes so much the better. That leave me 500 for a PSU (100), RAM (100), HDs (100), case (50-100) DVD/CD (50), Fans and heatsinks (75-100) plus shipping.

That's the budget, now help me spend it.

Guest element

Take a look at Branjo's setup.

Then have a think about what the main use of ur pc is. If its gaming go for a nice video card and a dual core.

If heavy encoding and so on more ram and a quad are going to serve your needs better.

id second branjo's advice. nvidia makes nice chipsets, but i think they arent all that usefull when not using SLI. id recommend against an E6750 though. better get a wolfdale cpu

If you decide to go wolfdale, make sure you get a motherboard that will support it. A P-35 board like the DFI DK P-35 would be a good choice if you are only going to run a single card.

Jason

Im way happy with my set up which was recommended a few months ago. I had my old amd cpu give up on me and Wevsspot recommended the Giga-p35 --- an E6750---I chose the Video card which was very close to $300 at the time. The rest is from my old system.

OK, I done some more shopping around and have come up with this list of hardware, what do you think?

ASUS P5n32-SLI $209.00

Intel E8400 $230.00

EVGA 8800 GTS (G92) 512 MB $315.00

OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU $100.00

Corsair XMS 2@1GIG DDR800 $80.00

Antec 900 $120.00

Tuniq Tower 120 $45.00

Samsung 20x DVD R SATA Model SH-203N $34.00

ASUS SATA DVD ROM $19.00

WD HHD 259 gig SATA 3 $75.00

Total cost before shipping from Newegg is $1,227.00

I might wait a few weeks to see if the new 9000 series GPU help lower the price on the 8800.

As I said before, I don't know jack about over clocking and use the PC mostly for gaming, web surfing, spread sheets and word processing (work stuff). My current rig (shown) below is ok, but I need a second PC and figured I would build a new one better than the one I have and pass the old one down.

All looks sweet, but if you aren't gonna Overclock then there is a few corners you can cut with no loss to performance, Your G92 is an butt kicking card so your not really gonna need an SLI motherboard and the P35 is cleaning up at the moment for price/performance, and you could save a good bit on your RAM by getting some G.skill NQ's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231098 just look at the amount of excellent reviews these got.

I bought 2 antec P180s from compsource.com for a great price and they have a 900 for 113 free shipping here --> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231098 they use Fedex not UPS they actually delivered a case once that someone had close a shutter door on and dented the crap out of it. The shipping on cases from newegg is what beefs up your delivery costs.

The rest of your build is very nice, the Tuniq Tower is about the best you could have on air, Awesome CPU and PSU too.

Your choice in HDD is fine but for performance sake I would advise you to get 2 x 160's http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136075 for a few bucks more you get the benefit of more space and one drive could be for your OS + Pagefile plus a ton of storage, and the other for your games n programs. that way you don't get those "in game" pauses because your disk is frantically accessing everything at once. Although you may use the other drives from your old rig so disregard the HDD opinion lol.

I would also drop the DVD ROM drive, unless there is a reason you depend on it, but for not much more you could have another DVD RW

EDIT: Oh and BTW I'm jealous as hell, I had the most fun picking out my rig and being on that shopping cart page with the full intention of hitting that Submit button, took me nearly 3 months to decide lol

Branjo,

Thanks for the feed back. The shipping for the whole order (today) is only 15.00 because most of the items have free shipping including the case. I was thinking that as time goes on, I might want to go with a pair of G92s if the price was right. Getting an SLI board gives me that option long term. I am not married to that board or brand, but it seems to be leading edge enough to keep me happy for awhile. I was just reading about the MOB on the company forum and there seems to be issues with the MOB working correctly with the new 45nm chips, should I worry?

The RAM i picked is what ASUS has on their QVL list. I would buy less costly RAM if I knew it would work with the MOB OK.

I will be taking a drive or two out of my current rig. I pan to use one of my 160s as the OS boot drive, the new 250 for other stuff and the 500 for music and stuff.

It is fun to pick out the new toy.... just not sure if I should wait until after February when all the new stuff comes out and lowers the price of this rig.

• 2 weeks later...

My Sig FTW. LOL. I like my MOBO. And you too can OC just a little without getting overly complicated or endangering your investment. Just follow the advice of the Master Hardware guys who frequent this site. Good Luck to ya.