Sign in to follow this  
stanggt00

NF7-S wolnt Post after case swap

Unbelievably, this has happened to me again doing JUST a case swap, now on my spare computer, to the case I took my DFI rig out of.

Components are as follows:

NF7-S Rev 2

Athlon XP 3200+ Barton

2x1Gb OCZ PC3200 Platinum

Radeon 9800 Pro AGP

Antec Tru Power 2 450W power supply

So basically NOTHING has changed but the case.

First attempt at a boot and the system hung on me. I cleared the CMOS and the next few attempts at booting resulted in total power failure where the system just shut off completely. Fortunately I had a spare PSU (the tru power 2 listed above). I hook that up, computer boots up to windows prompt for chosing a normal, safe or last known good boot. I selected safe but it just froze. I unplug it, plug it back in and now it wolnt even POST.

I have 1 red 1 green light on the motherboard when I hit the power switch, but I never get a beep. I pulled out one stick of ram, no beep. Put in the other stick of ram, no beep. Swapped video cards to a new PCI card, no beep. With no card in I get the series of beeps, with no heatsink on the CPU, I got the "fire alarm" two tone beeping. I reseated the CPU, heatsink and fan, still no beep.

So is my motherboard jacked or could it be the CPU? Nobody I know has a spare processor or board to swap with. I am hoping someone can help by the troubleshooting results I listed above. Thanks in advance.

I am shocked to not have gotten a reply on this web forums. In any case, I tried a long CMOS clear which did not help. My kid is going to luck out and get my A64 3200+ amd X850XT in it's place. I only had to buy a cheap 939 motherboard. I picked up an ECS KN1 Lite (V1.0) to get him up and running again.

Did you make sure the board was not grounding out on anything in the case. That could kill a board if a loose screw was in the right spot.

Yeah, I had pulled the board back out just to make sure. I actually took some of the posts out that were in there because the board had plastic posts in a few of the holes already. As I said, that rig was acting crazy before I did the case swap. But it worked and was stable. I am going to pick up a PSU tester before I hook up the new rig to make sure that the PS is good.

just do a tyest run in a carton bax to see if the mobo wasnt ground

if it work there then ytheirs something wrong with the case

Well, I had the rig in my sig in that case until I upgraded it to the Antech 900 case. I figured this case had much better cooling than the one his computer was in before so why not let it breathe better. I will try your suggestion just to see what happens. If the computer boots outside of the case, I guess it could be a ground issue I would have to look into. Thanks for the advice.