$89 Pentium Dual Core (Core2 architecture) @ 3.2Ghz

Ok, if you know me, you know I'm not real keen on Tom's Hardware.

But once in a while, they do an article sorta-correct or sorta-good (but rarely a combo of both).

Here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/09/12/pen...core/index.html

is an article that is very very good in the sense of how it relates to us around here...taking an $89 cpu and making it run like a $300+ cpu.

Give it a read. I'm VERY interested in hearing how it plays out for anyone that has a bit of cash and some time to spare. We'd even like to help you write it up for our own front page...an $89 core2 architecture cpu that hits 3Ghz-3.2Ghz is VERY much in the DIY theme (and I suppose very much in our previous "DFI overclock everything until your testicles melt into your tighty whiteys" theme/format as well).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article. The FSB wasn't much of a problem since you can overclock it like crazy, but the L2 cache is what kept it back in some benchmarks though. I got a E6850 in my lil' brothers computer and i'm not feeling to happy right now, hehe.

Ask Reelfiles about that...

that 2160 he has is a 1.8ghz CPU and he got it to 3.4ghz...so he outta know about that also....:)

there are 2 steppings to look for....the 1 he uses has a 65c threshold while the other stepping has a 75c threshold....

all 2180 and higher have the 75c limit....

I had good feelings about this CPU when purchased and again A_G I think it was something you suggested to me....?

I would definately get another one in a minute and another Gigabyte board....lol

heh, I already know all about this (though no hands-on experience yet). This is another one of those "get the 3800+ X2 dual core AMD as it is best bang for the buck" or "opteron 146" etc...with a Core2 architecture, you can't go wrong.

And let's look at the L2 cache performance differences...same really as the 512k L2 vs 1MB L2 on A64's...almost a moot point when you consider the minute differences in performance (I mean, if you are getting 1m 32s mp3 conversions with a 4MB 6750 and 1m 37s mp conversions with a 1MB 2160...really...who cares??? Again, no one unless you are some freak who ONLY does benchmarking and lives and dies by some stupid performance number while the rest of us get 1-3fps less in our COD4 game and don't care because we are too busy enjoying ourselves!).

Oh, and let's also look at games like Crysis where the cpu just isn't important at really...it's all about the graphics card for the most part at any 'normal' gaming resolution (1280x1024 or higher, mostly 1680x1050 widescreen or higher). At 1024x768 and in instances 1280x1024 will still keep you cpu limited, but even a Sempron and the new Celerons can almost match any 'beefy' cpu when it comes to running a game at those lower resolutions.

No my friends, it has been a VERY LONG time since I've seen a truly spectacular "bang for the buck" setup like this...I've got a good chunk of experience with these Gigabyte P35 and X38 boards, I just need to mooch one of these 2160's off you guys so I can go on and on and on and on and on and on about how awesome it is to take a 1.8Ghz cpu up to 3+Ghz without even blinking an eye...

I love my Pentium Dual Core E2140, got it up to 3.2Ghz that is a 100% overclock :D , but it wasn't OCDB stable at that speed so I dropped it down to 3.0Ghz, I'm pretty sure with a little time and some tweaking I could get it stable at 3.2Ghz.

In another post i mentioned that my son's opty 165 gave up. Since i had my old gigabyte P965 S3 sitting on a shelf i went to Microcenter,picked up a 2160

and OCZ pc6400 2x1gb and it hit 3.0ghz on stock cooling and stock volts.

He's a happy camper now.With a 7900 GTO and 1680x1050 monitor he plays

CSS for hours.A very good deal for a "bang for the buck" cpu. 8 hours Orthos stable temps 55-57.

Guest element
heh, I already know all about this (though no hands-on experience yet). This is another one of those "get the 3800+ X2 dual core AMD as it is best bang for the buck" or "opteron 146" etc...with a Core2 architecture, you can't go wrong.

And let's look at the L2 cache performance differences...same really as the 512k L2 vs 1MB L2 on A64's...almost a moot point when you consider the minute differences in performance (I mean, if you are getting 1m 32s mp3 conversions with a 4MB 6750 and 1m 37s mp conversions with a 1MB 2160...really...who cares??? Again, no one unless you are some freak who ONLY does benchmarking and lives and dies by some stupid performance number while the rest of us get 1-3fps less in our COD4 game and don't care because we are too busy enjoying ourselves!).

Oh, and let's also look at games like Crysis where the cpu just isn't important at really...it's all about the graphics card for the most part at any 'normal' gaming resolution (1280x1024 or higher, mostly 1680x1050 widescreen or higher). At 1024x768 and in instances 1280x1024 will still keep you cpu limited, but even a Sempron and the new Celerons can almost match any 'beefy' cpu when it comes to running a game at those lower resolutions.

No my friends, it has been a VERY LONG time since I've seen a truly spectacular "bang for the buck" setup like this...I've got a good chunk of experience with these Gigabyte P35 and X38 boards, I just need to mooch one of these 2160's off you guys so I can go on and on and on and on and on and on about how awesome it is to take a 1.8Ghz cpu up to 3+Ghz without even blinking an eye...

Very right even stock, with a 2900 my system flies. In real world situations. Such as 1280x1024 with a little AA in older games.

well i am very happy with my $89.00 2160 and thought i got a steal when i hit 3.2. although my goal was to hit 3.4-3.6 with this bargin basement chip im still happy with the results i was able to obtain. i havent tried crysis yet but this cpu plays COD4 and GEARs of War with no issues. just played test drive unlimited last night with all the settings cranked at 1680x1050 smooth as a whistle. i am trading this cpu to a friend for his old e6600 plus im givin him 50 bucks. i think the only downfall of this chip is benchmarking it , it handles itself like a champ with all the real life apps ive been able to throw at it so far. i highley recommend these cpus for light to moderate users or peeps waiting for a bargin on a .45nm cpu.

the p35/pentium dual core is a sweet combo. unfortunately i was "only" able to get 3ghz out of the processor, and it was the stepping with the higher temperature thresh. i very much compare this intel build to my budget amd build. a buddy of mine has basically the same setup except his processor is a 6850@3ghz, so i'm trying to get him to run some benches so i can compare the two in gaming.