Sign in to follow this  
CrAsHnBuRnXp

x38 boards shuts down completely down when opening up a program...

...then it turns itself on again. The only thing Event Viewer has to show for it is this:

"The previous system shutdown at 11:25:01 PM on 1/24/2008 was unexpected."

Running what's in sig minus the RAID setup. CPU is at stock for now and the temps are peachy. Id post a CPUz and GPUz, but then the computer crashes. Dont say its Vista because it "sucks." I have used it fine for over a year now. If it is contributed to "Vista" its probably because of a bad install.

Also, can anyone confirm on the x38 DFI boards (maybe even the P35's) that when you save your options in the BIOS, the computer shuts itself off then turns back on again? Kinda freaks me out when it does that as I have never seen it before.

I need some help with this. Its driving me nuts.

So yeah...Everest still loads up fine, however, when I go into the BIOS and make my changes such as disabling the floppy drive, changing the boot order of my DVD drive and turning off the full screen logo, I go into Windows to load up CPUz and it just shuts down and restarts.

I should mention that the Bios save/exit/shutdown/auto restart seemed to have quit. Goes as normal now.

Still baffled as to why it shuts down so unexpectedly.

Also, can anyone confirm on the x38 DFI boards (maybe even the P35's) that when you save your options in the BIOS, the computer shuts itself off then turns back on again? Kinda freaks me out when it does that as I have never seen it before.

I need some help with this. Its driving me nuts.

I have this on my P35 Blood Iron as well. I've narrowed it down to happening after any changes are made in the genie bios section: DRAM settings, CPU settings etc... Freaks me the f*** out as well! first time I just set the default ram timings 5-5-5-15 and voltage, f10 to save, system shut off, then restarted itself.

Somewhat related, I miss my CMOS Reloaded....

I have this on my P35 Blood Iron as well. I've narrowed it down to happening after any changes are made in the genie bios section: DRAM settings, CPU settings etc... Freaks me the f*** out as well! first time I just set the default ram timings 5-5-5-15 and voltage, f10 to save, system shut off, then restarted itself.

Somewhat related, I miss my CMOS Reloaded....

Apparently this is a new feature with p35 and x38 boards. So it is supposed to do that. It will be a long butt time before I get used to it.

As for the CPUz thing, apparently in the ini file of CPUz the sensor is defaulted to "ON" and this causes a problem with Vista 32 and 64 bit. Changing it from "ON" to "OFF" fixes the issue.

Found some more info on this shup down thing...

from http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/showpost.php?...55&postcount=11

Thanks to Onepagebook/OCX for supplying me with a copy of the email he received from DFI explaining the Genie BIOS settings.

Exist Setup Shutdown:

Somehow it’s a “characteristic” of Intel chipset when overclocking… it will shutdown after tweaking. For that, DFI has 2 different modes to chose:

Mode 1) when the system was boot-up, it will run a little “diagnose”.

If the CPU frequency doesn’t change too much, it will skip the “shutdown” function and rewrite the clock generator directly.

Mode 2) no matter how little the CPU clock or DRAM’s ratio has been changed,

the system still “shutdown” and reboot by itself

Looks like setting our shutdown mode to 'Mode 1' will 'turn off' that auto-shutdown after tweaking bios level clocks.