ArchVile

im building a new computer for my brother. here are the specs im going with;

DFI ICFX3200

Core 2 quad q6600

2 gigs ocz reapers ddr2 800

mushkin 550 watt PSU

vistiontek radeon hd3870

tuniq tower 120

its a pretty bad butt build in my opinion.

i got the video card with my discount at frys for 210 so im happy about that

what do you guys think? and suggestions or is this a decent build.

no need for an ICFX3200 board. Get a good but cheap P35 Gigabyte (P35-DS3R) which will do crossfire, is more reliable, more stable, less hassle, and the support is definitely tops compared to a one-pony company like DFI (especially timely bios updates etc, something DFI has never figured out).

Save yourself some cash.

Mushkin psu...ugh. I wouldn't own one of those for any amount of free. Look into the Antec TRIO 550w for a much much better power supply (and cheaper for sure). If you are looking to spend the kind of money you would on that junk Mushkin psu, instead spend it on a Corsair or Antec or PCP&C/OCZ.

unfortunately ive already ordered it. now i dont plan on running raid cause running raid on the 3200 chipsets is hard as hell. this will bring my use of DFI boards to 3. the sli-dr, the cfx3200 and this. so far i havent really had any problems with DFI. yea they have an insane amount of options on overclocking but on both the 939 boards i only tweaked with the basic settings, memory timings, just the 4 regular ones, memory voltage, cpu freq, voltage, and multiplier, etc. you get what i mean. its a hell of a deal for me to pass it up.

your probably right about the p35 board. im using a p35 board and i love it, but the cheapest p35 board that i found from a brand that i like, abit, gigabyte, dfi, etc. i hate asus. anyway, the cheapest one was the ds3p which is what i use and i cant really afford another 160 dollar board, that will put this build over a grand and i still got tuition to pay for :-)