Sign in to follow this  
schoolslave

Ati HD2900XT still a good card?

Hmmm, I was wondering if the HD2900xt is still a good card.

When it was released I heard a lot about crappy drivers and such, did that improve?

Then I saw some benchmarks and reviews showing it was slowly catching up to the GTX due to better drivers.

Anyone here own one that could tell me how the performance is?

And no, don't recommend me 8800GTs !!!!!lol.

yes. the 2900 series in general is still awesome.

but if i were you i would get the 2900pro instead of the 2900xt. its like 150 dollars less and you can overclock it to the speeds of the 2900xt easily and beyond. i use the sapphire 2900pro and i love it. you just gotta make sure that you have an 8 pin PCI express connector.

Guest MadDias

i´d also recommend the 2900pro, but only the 512bit version.

the newer pro´s only have a 256bit memory interface, so there is a difference between that pro version and the xt.

i´ve got two 512bit pro´s and overclocked them to 800gpu and 900vram using a modified version of the pro bios (which provides tighter mem timings than the xt bios). u don´t really need a 8pin pcie connector to overclock a hd2900. overdrive always sucked big time.

just use atitool or modify ur own gfx-bios to ur own needs.

With the Sapphire 2900Pro going for a flea market price of $159.00 at NewEgg right now, I seriously considered snagging two of them up and putting them in Crossfire. The only thing that has me hesitating are reports that the OEM cooling solutions are fairly noisy.

Guess I could slap a couple of Zalman's on them, but that would bring them close to the price of the 3870's after purchasing the aftermarket fans and the Crossfire bridge.

Oh, what to do, what to do......

How much slower is the 256-bit interface?

If I use them in CF, shouldn't make that big of a difference, right?

i wonder if a radeon 3850 wouldnt be a better choice then a 2900pro. the price doesnt differ a lot, depending on the brand

Guest MadDias

the 256bit version doesn´t differ alot to the stock 512bit version of the 2900pro. but only the 512bit version is capable of being flashed to a regular xt.

also u can´t edit the bios of 256bit version with QuantumForce2900Editor.exe (easy to use editor to modify hd2900xt bios). u would have to use a hex editor and manage to find the right spot in the bios for the clocks.

i don´t think that i could reach 12k in 3dmark06 with a pair of 3850´s.

aren´t the 3850s cards with only 256mb vram?

i wonder if a radeon 3850 wouldnt be a better choice then a 2900pro. the price doesnt differ a lot, depending on the brand

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't already have a 2900XT? Not a pro?