P4 3.0 W/800fsb & Ht Or Amd Athlon 2500 Barton +

jdaniel

Hi guys I am split between getting a P4 3.0 w/ HT and 800 FSB and AMD 2500 Barton and up which run at 333 FSB.

Ok the question is what can I get to run at the same rates of 3.0 as the P4 and the same FSB of 800 or more, and how. And what motherboard can I get which can allow me to use RAM that would run at DDR400 or more. The main reason why I am looking at AMD is to explore the possibility of cutting cost and getting the same or better performance.

Pls help, newbie here so not too much jargon pls ehhe THANKS !!! :ph34r:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first off the p4 is running at 200fsb and the barton is at 166fsb.

My choice would be to go with a 2.4c p4 processor and o/c the fsb to 300fsb (1200 with multi) that will give you some killer performance, and get the asus p4c800 :)

however if you are trying to save money then get the amd setup...

Edited by AYoKoNA

p4 3.0 runs at 800 FSB ... so what do you men when you say it runs at 200 you mean some multiplier thing that i read somewhere that is how they get to 800 FSB rite ? But how to i make lower versions to run faster than 800 ?

Thanks

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

the "fsb" is 200 on p4 Ht's they are quad pumped 4x200-800mhx "bus"

amd have a 166mhz "fsb" that double pumped 2x166=333mhz "bus"

So there is no way to quad pump the AMD rite ? and to overclock it to say 200 then quad pump it ? LOL

And refering to the other 2 guys about pentium 2.4 or 2.6 , you guys are refering to the ones with the 800 FSB or the cheaper versions w/o the hyper threading?

This is what I found online tell me:

Pentium 4 - Socket 478 - 400MHz FSB - 512KB cache Pentium 4 2.4A GHz

Pentium 4 - Socket 478 - 533MHz FSB - 512KB cache Pentium 4 2.66B GHz or

Pentium 4 2.8B GHz

Pentium 4 - Socket 478 - 800MHz FSB - 512KB cache

w/ Hyper-Threading Technology Pentium 4 2.6C GHz to 3.2

So tell me which you guys refering to and specifically how to overclock the FSB, and also do i have to do anything to the motherboard? pls provide info on that as well. THANKS !!!!!!

Edited by jdaniel

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

no see the ht is a technology that threads 2 cpu's into one and thats 2 double pumped cpu quad pummps it normal cpu's now adays are double and that can not be changed

check out my modified post with new questions guys. Thanks

Also what is the best heatsink/fan is the quietest from Thermaltake? And is there something else from someone else which can outdo the performance and even more silent ? Thanks

What you should look for in a P4 processor is look for the "C" series chips. They are the ones with the "800 mhz" Front side bus. This is the 4 x 200 mhz thing that was mentioned earlier.

What they are saying is instead of sticking with the stock 200 mhz, you can increase that number usually anywhere between 75 and 100 mhz more usually so that it would be say for example 4 x 275 = 1100 mhz.

So by doing this you are really increasing the amount of data that can flow at one given time.

And your CPU speed will be say 275 x 12(multiplier) = 3.3 Ghz

And this speed improvement is essentially free. Only thing you have to worry about is proper cooling for it.

Do not buy the 3.0 Ghz P4. It will cost too much money. By buying the 2.4C, you will essentially get better performance out of this with some tweaking than you would with a 3.0 . Just takes a little bit of patience thats all.

As for cooling, don't just limit yourself to Thermaltake, there are other companies out there who make killer Heatsink fans. I would say look at a thermalright Heatsink/fan combo. They are awesome heatsinks.

Good luck with the purchase and let us know if there is anything else u need. :)

Guest Ballz2TheWallz

one thing i have to say if your going intel go for the "C" series it will beat any a or b series at the same clock by atleast 30%