DDR2 Recommendations.

Novartic_

I'm using this Patriot DDR2-800 in my AM2 rig - PDC22G6400ELK

It's D9 based, clocks very well, and right now it's only $69.99 with a $35 MIR, so final cost is $29,99. (And yes, you will get the rebate! It just so happens that I got a check from them this AM!)

How do you know if these RAM modules have the D9 chips on??? How can you tell?

Also... this is the Maximus Formula Series Motherboard Qualified Vendors List (QVL)

http://uk.asus.com/440/download/products/1850/1850_10.pdf

This list will help you find D9's http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2

Micron D9 is good stuff alright especially when it comes to mhz but with everybody now wanting 4GB to do 1000~1100mhz its not the be & end all it used to be, the powerchip based 4GB kits can do 1000~1100mhz on low voltage @ a decent price.

Most QVL lists are not worth wiping your a**e with if you want to overclock as they don't really cater for overclockers. Your best bet would be IMO to do some research & find out what RAM is working well on your board & go with that.

This stuff here looks good,...

PC2-6400 Ultra Plus

GX21GB6400PDC / GX22GB6400PDC

3.0-3-3-8 @ 1.8 ~ 2.3V

Micron D9GCT (B6-37E)

Micron D9GMH (B6-3)

Its good but its fairly rare in the UK, its expensive, I haven't seen a lot of people using it & some boards don't like booting CAS 3 so it wouldn't be top of my list.

Any D9 based PC2 6400 will do you well but if you want to crank it up you need to look around & see what others are doing it with on the ASUS.

The way I look at it is RAM is cheep atm & for the sake of an extra £20 to get a high spec PC2 8500 kit you will have piece of ming knowing your overclock is not going to be RAM limited & you should be able to run nice safe low voltage.