Ahh, Websight Is Up And Running But

asus

I have cable internet! I download at 423 kb/s sometimes, but i never upload past 94 kbs! I know about isp throtteling your upload bandwith, but this is crazy, i kneed help. Anybody know how to boost the speed "upload speed" im not paying for a t1, i am a highschool student, that has a job and can barelly afford my isp now. SO .. sugestions please!

My Webpage

dont expect it to be up all the time, this is my PC, i am planning on making this computer my webserver when i finish building my new one.

Edited by asus

Unless you live in an area where no one else has cable thats the best your gonna get. I used to work with a hosting company and your best option is to pay around $7 for hosting. You should be able to get a good amount of space and transfer for that much. But if you still want to run it yourself i think DSL has a slightly higher upload.

Beware of your ISP's Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP). Most companies forbid running servers on residential services as it affects the network performance for other customers. Sure, I can see most you responding with "who cares" or "my ISP doesn't enforce the AUP"...but if your bandwidth is constantly spiking month after month, they will take appropriate action. This is not a policy preaching, just FYI. ;)

well its funny, because when i was talking with adelphia, the guy says they block port 80, so try port 8080, so if i get in trouble, then i can just say, "your tec support told me this" so tec. its not my problem, plus, they throttle the upload bandwith to almost a trickle

LinuXProX host the site himself via a company that he owns.

The site takes up a lot of space with forums, case gallery, downloads (actually located on a 2nd server if I'm not mistaken), and images and movies for reviews. Those are the big things.. most of the "pages" are very small by nature.

The site takes up quite a bit of space. I don't know for sure the exact size, but I know it's a good chunk of space. The main thing is the download center (which if I'm not mistaken is on a 2nd server, hosted by someone else)... next bigest thing would be the database (it may also be a 2nd server)... then next to that would be the images and movies used for reviews... after that would be the images posted to the forums... and then the forum archive itself. "Pages" for the site are actually very small.

On top of all that, you also have the email software so the staff can access our email via the web... then there is ftp software so LinuXProX can do his thing... there is also logs... and knowing Matt, there are a LOT of these... the good thing about it, is the server runs (or was running) Linux... that means it's not bloated down with all the extra crap windows throws in.