Replace chipset fan

I've scuffed and scrapped a few traces on my motherboards in the past too :)

Fortunately I've been lucky like you, haven't managed to ruin any yet (wevsspot knocks on wood). But it sure puts a knot in your stomach when that utility knife or screw driver slips and ends up somewhere it isn't supposed to be :(

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I am using the maglev fan. But, I did have a Thermalright HR-05 SLI on there at one point too. The problem with these is that with some video cards, they won't fit. If you put an 8800 in your board, you aren't going to get it to fit arond that stock cooler. Even more annoying is that the OEM maglev fan will be covered up almost completely by the 8800 unless you put the 8800 in the lower PCIe slot (configed as 8x).

Fits alright for me on my SLI-D board, I'm currently using an HR-05 SLI with an 8800 GTS G92.

It can fit underneath the card, or over it, if the cpu cooler doesn't intefere.

In other news, the Evercool VC-RE is back in stock at Newegg, two weeks after I had to order mine elsewhere... :(

thanks for the info, I just added it to my cart, thinking about getting one all though I havent had any probs with my stock one yet and my temps have always been low compared to many. But hey I could allways use more twinkling lights right:eek2:

Edit: spoke too soon its now out of stock again:mad:

Where else can you purchase the Evercool VC-RE other than the Egg? It's always out of stock every time I check on it. My mag-lev fan is still going strong, and so long as I cap the fan speed at 70% with SpeedFan the noise isn't noticable. Still I wouldn't mind replacing it for peace of mind and a bit better cooling, and I'll probably pick up a second one for the northbridge on my upcoming P35 build.

Any other coolers under $10 that compare with the VC-RE?

To answer half of my own question. After poking around the different threads I found svc.com sells them as well. I'm assuming they're pretty reputable as I've seen a few different references to them now.

Don't forget to use the SVC link in the DIY-Street store.

To answer half of my own question. After poking around the different threads I found svc.com sells them as well. I'm assuming they're pretty reputable as I've seen a few different references to them now.

That's where I bought mine, svc.com, through a link here at the DIY store front thing. Don't know how reputable they are as I hadn't heard of them or used them before, but they got it here plenty quick. I'm disappointed in New Egg being out of stock again. It shows some supply chain management issues but hopefully they don't go beyond this one manufacturer.

That's where I bought mine, svc.com, through a link here at the DIY store front thing. Don't know how reputable they are as I hadn't heard of them or used them before, but they got it here plenty quick. I'm disappointed in New Egg being out of stock again. It shows some supply chain management issues but hopefully they don't go beyond this one manufacturer.

Thanks for sharing your experience with svc. I'll be sure and use the link from the storefront and share the affiliate love.

Thanks for sharing your experience with svc. I'll be sure and use the link from the storefront and share the affiliate love.

Thank you. Every purchase made through the clickable links in the DIY-Storefront benefit the Street.

SVC is a very reputable company, you won't have any problems with them.

Regards,

• 3 weeks later...

I just replaced my stock chipset fan with the Evercool fan yesterday. My temp went down from 42C to 33C, and the fan RPM’s went down from 5114 to 2058. Both significant. However, I don’t notice the Evercool being that much quieter than the stock fan. I’ve always heard that the Evercool is so much quieter than the stock fan, but it sounds almost as loud as the stock fan. Just a different sound.