Sign in to follow this  
Novartic_

PSU Recommendations.

Hello all.... I am looking for a reliable, good looking, stable in the volts when under load power supply. I would like to have one that you can disconnect and add in extra cables etc.. depending on what I need. (would also like one with a 120mm fan on the bottom, if not dw..)

The hardware that I will need to run is the following:

// Asus Maximus Formula

// CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01 + 4x120mm, 3x80mm fans.

// Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme + 120mm fan.

// Core2Duo Q6600 OC @ 3.2 GHz

// Two ATI HD 3870 Crossfire cards in CF mode.

// 4GB RAM... dont know what to get yet for this..

// 2 x WD 78GB Raptors RAID-0 -OS

// 4 x WD 250GB RAID-5 -Data

// TWO OPTICAL DRIVES!!! ;) -- update!!

TV card in the future..

Will need to be able to power WC if needed and future proof. Must not exseed £160.

The rig looks good, im going for more or less the exact same and Im going to be using a Silverstone Decathlon (available in 650/750+ versions). I originally wanted a PcP&C, because of the single 12V rail, but I also wanted something modular. The Decathlon series has both (modular and single 12V rail).

Let us (me) know how the build works out for you!

I dont know, Im going to be using the 650W version for the Maximus, 2Gb Ram, E8400, 2 3870s, 2 HDDs raid 0, dvd rom, a sound card and 3 fans, which it will be enough for...so in your case..yeah Id go for the 750W

Guest Lavell

I will 2nd that recommendation. Get the SilverStone Decathlon DA750 (750 watts) PSU. I have this PSU (see sig). It's a solid performer as well as it's 100% modular.

Guest Lavell

I'm not sure how true this is with other PSUs, but I can tell you that is not the case with this particular PSU. In that review you linked, during testing the PSU had a small drop of voltage (from 12V to 11.75V). That's only a .25 of a voltage drop due to modular cables. I never measured the voltages on my PSU, but I would bet that if I did, I would get similar results.

There's not that many high-powered single-rail PSUs out there on the market. Having said that, I still stand by my recommendation. This just might be the last PSU you'll ever need to buy. It is for me.:)

"They claim modular plugs add as much electrical resistance as would occur in an additional 2 feet of standard wire, which leads to a relatively big voltage drop."

http://www.dvhardware.net/review98_2_silverstone-da750.html

This true??? If it is then im like,.. jog on..

Why the galaxy? PSUs with single 12V rails, like the PCP&C and Silverstone Decathlons are stabler and should cost roughly the same amount as the Enermax

IMO just about any quality 600W PSU will do the job well.

We are very fortunate that there are a lot of decent PSUs available.

Some popular models here in the States may not be available to you (or cost an arm and a leg).

Pricing in the U.K. may boil down to has the strongest distributor.

Move more volume, you can sell for less.

Now I think I just bought the PSU you are looking for. :)

It's a Corsair HX-620.

Modular, ton of current, rocket solid voltages - the reviews have been fantastic.

And it's "pliable" modular cable design that is flat.

Pretty spiffy.

Be firing it up this weekend.

Sign in to follow this