why are these new games so short?

jaz

I've been reading most of the reviews by people here that have played some of the newer popular games. They are too short. One thing i like about 1/2life2 was it was very long. I like long games. My fav all time game.

I don't feel like shelling out $50 for less than 12-15 hours gameplay. I take my time and like to explore and find hiddin "goodies", so that takes a little time, but overall, cod4 and crysis seem pretty dam short for the money, And find no need to spend hours shooting at varmints and frolicking in the woods, even if they are great games. I want a little more action.

For instance i just got done with 1/2 life ep2, and it was WAY too short. Felt kinda ripped off, then the cliffhanger ending didn't help my opinion much, interesting as it was.

I want to good game that has great graphics, my machine can handle at resonable settings, and will last a while. but their just doesn't seem to be any out, unless somebody can tell me of one. By the way, I hate no quckload/quicksave.

Any recommendations? :confused:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STALKER rocks

single player is "out" while multiplayer is "in" so why bother with 40 hours of gameplay for singleplayer when you can bang out something dumb with no plot that ties in with the actual gameplay itself for singleplayer (*cough*Unreal Tournament 3*cough*) and focus 90% of your effort on multiplayer?

Mass Effect is awesome but only on Xbox360.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is supreme fun if you are down with RTS (that has cheesy but awesome story/voice acting).

Bioshock is suppoesd to be awesome + long

Depends on your gaming tastes but I'd recommend some of the better RPG games, Baldur's gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter nights 1 & 2. Plus all the expansions and user created packs there should be plenty there to keep you busy. You could probably get them pretty cheap on eBay.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ya STALKER rocks, Bioshock i still gota play for pc, Crysis was on a the short side, but it was fun, HL2 EP2...a bit longer then EP1, R6Vegas was nice and long :D

Guest element
Thanks guys, I'm heading out to worst buy in a few, so I'll have a looky see. And AG, that makes sense....multi-player. i hate multi player too...lol.

Ebay ? If you're really in need of a gaming fix yet have not the coin. It's a great way to score some older titles (and newer ones).

COH over here in NZ is only going to set me back 40NZD inc ship.

I had a bad experience a while back with ebay and I ended up canceling out my paypal account. I've had Stalker sitting here on my desk waiting for me to finnish 1/2life ep2, which was way too short, I didn't really feel like getting anything just yet, (need to do a little more checking out games), so I installed Stalker and it's latest 1005 patch. All i can say is....it's wierd.

Hard to kill other humans, and sometimes my gun just dissapeared. Gotta get used to things like eating, reloading if the gun jams...weird anomalies..I'm not sure if i like it just yet, but I'm trying to give it a chance.

I overclocked my card to 750/1800/1025 and i got artifacts in the game all over the place. Yet it was very stable with an '06 run and no artifacts at even higher clocks in ati tool, and passed '06, no artifacts as high as 775/1800/1100. Wierd.

The only FPS game that ever held my attention in single player mode was FEAR. I still haven't ever completed every level. Seems like every time I get half way through I end up reinstalling my OS for one reason or another.

However, back in the day I played DFBHD multiplayer for literally thousands of hours, and have done the same with BF2 and the various mods and expansion packs available for it.

A couple other (old but fun single player modes) Dark Messiah of Might and Magic was entertaining and so was Painkiller.

I haven't tried any of the single player missions in COD4 yet, multiplayer is ok, but man the maps are so damned cramped. Hopefully they will release some new maps that are a little bit more expansive. I remember some of the old DFBHD maps, they seemed to go on forever, you could walk for 30 minutes and never pass the same place twice.

I did the same thing with fear wevsspot, I've made 3 attemps at finishing the game, but it got interupted by a pc upgrade every time. That's why I'm thinking of playing it again. Great game, but it does get a little monotenous running through corridor after corridor. I did really like it though.

I did the same thing with fear wevsspot, I've made 3 attemps at finishing the game, but it got interupted by a pc upgrade every time. That's why I'm thinking of playing it again. Great game, but it does get a little monotenous running through corridor after corridor. I did really like it though.

Haven't you guys ever heard of backups? I periodically back up all my save game files to my server, and offsite to an online storagesolution. One of which is www.box.net, I too reinstall my OS fairly frequently.

Oh and I also loved stalker, its kinda like Oblivion......but with guns and hand grenades...I only wish it had a quick travel option like Oblivion.

And Bioshock is pretty good, but COD 4 is probably my current favorite game. I just love how they really pulled you in by giving you a first person perspective of so many different people, especially the polotician who gets executed.

P.S. A_G there is an expansion coming out for Warhammer if you weren't aware already.