Help System Preform Better

Drako

I'm just afraid you'll hit bottleneck after bottleneck. If you get a better video card, I think your sdr ram (and bus for that matter) will be the bottleneck. And the slow cpu will be a bottleneck. Are you using onboard sound? Even that would lower your scores, due to the sound tests in 3dmark03. But remember that we're all in the same boat...all of our comps have limitations. Just take my 2400+ that is determined that it's NOT going to be stable at 200fsb, for example. Or my Ram that doesn't like cas2 timings up around 200fsb speeds. Some of our limitations just happen to be higher than others.

3dmark is not just a video tests. the 5200 is practically a gf4 mx series that is dx9 compliant so don't expect a whole lot from it. And the Celery that u have with the limited cache will also hurt your performance. and I take it that your mem which has to be PC100 or pc-133 will also hurt it. Dont expect much from that system as far as 3dmark03 is concerned. they major thing that will help you out is saving some money and getting a new mobo/cpu combo. then sell that card and get yourself an ATI 9500 or higher. Good Luck

One thing to look out for as well is with the Sony Vaio computers, they have a lot of pre installed software with them too. Check the msconfig utility to turn off all the uneccessary programs when starting windows. There are probably like 10 of them that you can turn off atleast, this will improve system performance and give a little boost to your score. This will make it so there is less programs running in the background whily you are using the computer.

Yeah another downfall is with the celeron chip, you FSB is only 100 mhz effectively so that is another big bottleneck as well.

Well, as far as the pre installed software, This computer has absolutely none. See, after I format and do my sys recovery, I go back and uninstall everything that I installed except for the OS. Then I update and install my drivers. The only software that I have installed on any computer of mine is MSN 8 and games. The ram is PC-133, This mobo will only hold 512 and I have 384 in it. The onboard sound doesnt matter with 3dmark03 because of the fact that its not 16, 32, or 64 bit so therefore it cannot be tested by 3dmark03. Would you honestly reccomend an ATI over NVidia? I had almost decided on getting a GF4 Ti 4600, I have done some research and they seem to be pretty good. Also, a new computer is out of the question, cost to much money that I dont have...Unless I sell all 3 of my computers (one is parted, The other I just built and is and old deamon overclocked like hell)

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I figure that 3dMark03 was to much for my computer, considering my computer is a year and a half old. SO I got 3DMark01 SE and my score is 4601!!!!!!!!! It still bites dust but at least know I know I have something that I can accuratly measure my system with

Edited by Drako

DOn't get me wrong Nvidia has a good product out now. It not all its made up to be though. ATI delivers better performance with less cost to you. I have pretty much tested all the cards on the market while building pc's anything from a gf2 onboard to a 9800xt. And if you look at my sig what cards do you see? They are all ATI. either a 9500 or a 9800 pro. Hands down I will give ATI my money over Nvidia at this point in time. I used to be a Nvidia fan but that was when their cards were better. I go with the company that has the better product hands down.

The onboard sound doesnt matter with 3dmark03 because of the fact that its not 16, 32, or 64 bit so therefore it cannot be tested by 3dmark03.

Yes, that means the sound DOES matter. Because you cannot run the tests, your score suffers a little. It's like why the gf4 ti cards score so much lower than you might think in 3dmark03...it's because they can't run the dx9 tests, and thus their score is hurt. Also, 3dmark03 doesn't test different bitrates of sound...the numbers are how many audio channels it runs in the test.

However, you have bigger issues right now than your sound card. Also, if you do end up getting a new cpu/mobo, then the mobo would most likely have decent sound onboard. (Soundstorm rocks!)

Well, as far as the pre installed software, This computer has absolutely none. See, after I format and do my sys recovery, I go back and uninstall everything that I installed except for the OS. Then I update and install my drivers. The only software that I have installed on any computer of mine is MSN 8 and games. The ram is PC-133, This mobo will only hold 512 and I have 384 in it.

Even though you've uninstalled all the software off of it as you say. By using the recovery discs will still leave registry entries and little bits of junk everywhere. Almost every other retail system does it, HP, Compaq, Dell, Sony. Its one of the downfalls of buying a retail box. And you said you are using PC133 ram. That won't really matter, the FSB is only 100 so the extra 33 mhz that is on the ram is essentially not being used. Only way I could see if using the PC133 is if you were to OC it, I dont' think the Sony will do that.

Guess I was up to late last night and didnt pay attention to what I typed (bit vs channel). As far as the regestry entries and empty folders and things like that. I usually spend about 30 minutes going through my entire C:\ and the regestry getting rid of things. As far as O/Cing the ram, How would you go about doing that. I havent heard much or researched much about doing that. If that would help my sys preform better that might be worth looking into. And is there any way of pumping more juice through the FSB?

Just go into the bios and see if you can change the fsb. It be nice to be able to get it up to 133. That would put your cpu at 13x133=1733 mhz...I'm not sure if the Tualitin core will go that high, but it's worth a try. If you can't change it (it's greyed out or something), you can flash the mobo with an updated bios from the mobo's manufacturer. If you need to know the manufacturer of the board, wcpuid will tell you.