Sign in to follow this  
stinkpot

Issues with Windows XP Home

Hey Everybody;

THE STINK IS BACK!!!!

I am slowly coming to the realization that Windows XP Home stinks. I went to the Ubuntu website (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download) and downloaded Ubuntu. It ran fine on my RAM. It even recognizes my SATA hard drive. When I load it into my hard drive and boot the OS. My BOIS somehow ignore Ubuntu and goes straight into Windows XP Home. I installed Ubuntu again and boot my PC. Then the BOIS went into GRUB.I thought I was doing good. I choose to boot Ubuntu first, success. Then I restarted my PC, it went back into GRUB. Then I choose Windows XP Home, success. Then I restart my PC again, and instead of going into GRUB, it went straight into Windows XP Home. It did it again, and it gave me the same result.

I am getting sick of Windows. Somehow, it looks like it erases GRUB and Windows restored its own boot record. If that is not the case, then why did it go straight into Windows instead of giving me the choice to boot Ubuntu or Windows? I thought that any Linux base OS give you the choice to choose which OS you want to run.

Anyway, Windows XP Home is getting boring to me. It is not a challenge. I am considering going with Ubuntu, because it look like it can offer me more. The only thing that I fear is that most of the software that I do on Windows like MS Word, etc will not be available on Ubuntu. That is what I fear. That is why I would like to have the choice to choose Windows or Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a challenge, but I fear that it might be too challenging as far as software use.

I am a nut with security. How is the security on Ubuntu? What do you think about Ubuntu?

How is the security on Ubuntu? What do you think about Ubuntu?

You don't have to worry about security, that's how it is.

And Ubuntu is nice. I gave up on it for graphical errors in 6.10. I'll prob go back soon.

Stinkster, you need to do a little research into dual boot

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Feisty#...dows_Bootloader

There is a Linux thread on DIY that may help you more with this. It is more a Linux question than Windows.

I get claustrophobic with Linux but I can use it. XP is just too easy and I can't give it up. My biggest irritation with linux is video drivers. I lived with the video driver crap with every version of Dos then Windows and I just didn't want to go through it all again. So Feisty Fawn ended up in the sausage grinder with the other venison.

Maybe the driver issues are not so bad with newer hardware but I was using it on an old laptop.

I have some good news. GRUB is working good. I now can boot Ubuntu or Windows XP. Another problem arises though, I can not log in as root. UBuntu did not gave the opinion to set up a root account (I don't recall). What is your commendation? :)

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ubuntu and root is a pain in the butt

For a root file manager, press Alt-F2 and enter the command:

gksudo nautilus

which gives you a root privileged file manager.

then

go to /etc/gdm/

5.Open gdm.conf

6.search for AllowRoot=false

7.and then change AllowRoot=true

8.now restart ur machine

9.now u can enjoy with root access

should work

-SuppA-SnipA

You can also enable root from the Users admin panel. Enabling and using the root account however is bypassing one of the major security principles of any *nix OS :)

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ya but as long as he doesnt use it as his main account, he'll be ok, or disables it after every use

I tried what SuppA-SnipA told me to do. I rebooted my machine, and I have the same problem. I look into the gdm.conf file and found that the "AllowRoot=True" is still there. When I sign in the OS as root and put the password in, it would not let me in. I tried to switch to su in the Terminal and would not let me as root.

Anymore suggestions?

Guest SuppA-SnipA

did u change the password in account manager for root ? and enable the account from there too?

SuppA-SnipA:

No I have not done none of that. Please for give me; I am not a Pro at this. I am still at the learning stage of Ubuntu. I have not to long ago install the OS. I am communicating to you right now via Ubuntu. My question is: How do you activate Account Manager? How do you change the password in Account Manager for root? How do I enable the account too?

When I set up Ubuntu, it never gave me the opinion to set up a root account.

Regard,

Stinky:)

You were asked for a regular username and password, that password should be what it asks you for when you want to perform an root user level task in a 'regular' user session.