xfx 8800gt low overclock?

oafaloaf

Ok I have had my xfx 8800gt (PV-T88P-YDF4) a.k.a the lowest 512mb model in the gt series) for about 2 weeks now and ati tool gives me artifacts at only 685mhz core! WTF? I thought the 8800gt was a decent clocker especially from a known company (i.e. xfx,evga,bfg). This makes me think that I maybe should have gone with the competitors card (evga's lowest model 8800gt 512mb)

My question is does anyone else have this specific card...or even the evga I was talkin about:mad:?

I was considering doing the bios volt mod.. has anyone here tried it with any success/is it worth the risk?

and regarding the volt mod I have got a new zalman vf-900 in the mail so the heat is covered:cool:

Thanks!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the card is fast enough at stock.. why bother making it dump out even more heat then its already doing?

I am shocked.

Our duty is to overclock everything possible.

Not all GT's are created equal, some people had serious issues even running at stock speeds.

im not sure....but ATI tool for an nvidia card? why not ntune? i mean...im sure ATI would love to make you think nvidia cards stink :sweat:

Rivatuner does a better job than ntune. I had issues with ATItool locking up.

Oh, and both ATItool and Rivetuner work on ATI and Nvidia cards.

For 1 thing many many people have problems with ntune and it is garbage. Rivatuner is a very robust program that i have just started using and love it.

I have the xfx 8800gt and have overclocked it to what is in my sig. I was a litte dismayed when it hit the ceiling of 725 core clock and started showing artifacts and freezing. But hey its still an awesome card and like it has been mentioned already it is plenty fast at stock. If you still want to oc it i would use rivatuner for sure. You can find it at Guru3d as well as other sites as well.

For 1 thing many many people have problems with ntune and it is garbage. Rivatuner is a very robust program that i have just started using and love it.

I have the xfx 8800gt and have overclocked it to what is in my sig. I was a litte dismayed when it hit the ceiling of 725 core clock and started showing artifacts and freezing. But hey its still an awesome card and like it has been mentioned already it is plenty fast at stock. If you still want to oc it i would use rivatuner for sure. You can find it at Guru3d

as well as other sites as well.

I told you, up the voltage to 1.1v in the card BIOS and you can go higher. ;)

Of course, if you are stock cooling, you might want to look at after market cooling first.

I told you, up the voltage to 1.1v in the card BIOS and you can go higher. ;)

Of course, if you are stock cooling, you might want to look at after market cooling first.

I will be doing that once i get my hr03 but untill then i will wait and have patience.:eek2: Besides OC'ing the vid card has given me very small increases in performance.

I will be doing that once i get my hr03 but untill then i will wait and have patience.:eek2: Besides OC'ing the vid card has given me very small increases in performance.

I got mine up to 792Mhz core and 1998Mhz shader, it makes quite a bit of difference.

I hear that, even with a higher clock in 770+ there isn't much of a gain maybe 1 or 2 fps......but I was hoping my card would maybe do decent on shaders but apparently not I only got up to 1691... :mad: and so far the best stable is 680/1691/900 the memory doesn't budge even though they are only rated to 1ghz.

I read somewhere shaders have a dramatic impact on crysis...but that was just somebodys 2cents on a forum.:confused:]

and BTW I contacted XFX and the customer support guy told me that flashing the bios with one not recommended by XFX support would void the warranty so the flash is a no go...

Do you think upping the pci-e frequency in the bios would help much?

You have nice oc's Taowulf...what do you have you vcards mem set at? And how is the heat?

Memory is the only disappointment here, which is not uncommon for the 8800GT.

1008 (2016DDR) is as high as i can go.

Oh, and watercooling sort of takes care of the heat.