Sign in to follow this  
TheReaper

Which would you buy if money wasn't an issue???

The GTX, and I'd get one from a company that do the step up thing. EVGA probably or i think BFG do it too, i may be wrong on that though.

Because a single 8800GT 256mb card is only marginally slower than the 512mb version up to certain resolutions.

Because the price point on the 256mb cards is better than on the 512mb cards.

When you SLi two of the 256mb cards at most common resolutions up to say 1600X1200 they are going to stomp the yard on a lot of single card solutions available right now.

1600x1200 in Crysis at high detail would be a damn slide show with 256Mb cards.

1280x1024 is the top for 256 cards.

Viper

As your location is London, unless you are in the USA at the moment you can't buy either of those cards anyway (Newegg dos'nt ship to the UK). But you can buy this from the UK. In fact if you had looked there last week, they had a blinding deal on the Ultra's (which i got :))

1600x1200 in Crysis at high detail would be a damn slide show with 256Mb cards.

1280x1024 is the top for 256 cards.

Viper

Viper, you may have missed the part where I suggested TWO of the 256mb cards to run in SLi. I was never suggesting a single 256mb card.

And since he has an SLi capable motherboard and all of his other components are top notch. . . . Why not?

I'm fairly certain that you can't add the memory together for Sli/Crossfire, it'll still only utilize 256MB.

I could be wrong of course.

Ok, well scratch the dual 256mb cards in SLi then.

But he could still pre-order two of the 512mb cards from Motherboard Pro for the princely sum of 239.99 + 7.99 and still be under his $500 limit.

Imagine that - dual 8800GT 512mb cards in SLi. What a hoot! Insane!

oh i like that idea. if i did that i need the psu to go with them. i have been looking at psu's for days and my eyes are square. i did email the site where those cards are to ask how many amps they require etc but will have to wait until tomorrow i guess for reply. any suggetions for that particular setup?

If that were my rig I'd invest in the PC Power&Cooling 750W Quad or better. Just my 2 cents worth.

Although even the OCZ GameXStream 700W unit might do just fine.

Check out the extreme psu calculator posted here at the Street and see what kind of ball park figure it gives you for power requirements before making any purchasing decisions though.

You can find that here;

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread...+psu+calculator

Viper, you may have missed the part where I suggested TWO of the 256mb cards to run in SLi. I was never suggesting a single 256mb card.

And since he has an SLi capable motherboard and all of his other components are top notch. . . . Why not?

It does matter if it is 2,3 or 4. The memory is not additive in SLI or CF. The same resolution/AA

versus memory size limits apply just like a single card.

Viper