Sign in to follow this  
signmeuptoo

Please name your s939 overclock speed

Unlike many guys, I am still using a socket 939 system. For over a year I had nothing but trouble with the iterration of that year's parts. So many parts went out on me that it was a lot of misery.

From the beginning, my AMD Athlon 64 4800 Toledo wasn't stable at all, in fact, not clocked it crashed or BSODed or Froze several times a day. I have very good cooling (Thermalright XP-120 lapped w/Panaflo and Coollabs liquid pro) and my temps were relatively low, even in a very hot room.

Well, I finally got fed up and called AMD after thinking I had narrowed it down to the CPU. They were very kind and replaced it with the same model.

Now my new one is clocking much higher than I ever expected, in fact, I believe it can go higher but I don't want to push it and break it, abuse isn't in my wallet right now. I was lucky they replaced the old one as it is (I told them everything I had done and tried).

So now I am at 3 GHz but I have to wonder, how much farther could it go were I to chance it? How likely could it be that I might damage the CPU, even if I keep temps below, say, 55-60 degrees, by overclocking it any more? Right now on full load it is 44/45 w/ the cores at 48-55 when on full load performing folding and BOINC.

I'd appreciate it if you all would share your multi, HT, HTT, divider, and clock and what s939 CPU you have/had. I am especially interested in hearing from those of you with 4800s and Opteron 180s and up. I am thinking that as unlucky as I was with the first one, I am now lucky with this second one...

The best place for you to visit is the Socket939 Overclocking Database here at the Street. You can find it here;

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10195

Tons of useful information about settings and results.

If you are running your X2 4800 at 3.0ghz then you have achieved a very admirable feat. The best mine ever did was 2.75ghz and that was right at the edge.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

lol too many settings for me to list here, sorry, i have papers of this crap written down on what i've tried and what failed, and what succeeded :)

Like wevsspot wrote look in the overclocking database and find what other users achieved.

Look for the best setting for your Mainboard, graphiccard, memory, cpu etc. and combine it for your system.

This will take some time and a lot of testing but at the end you get the best settings for your system.

Because every system is different, even if you have 2 identical systems it's almost impossible to copy settings from another user 1 on 1.

What I noticed is that the later chips like the one you just got seem to be great and like for the opterons the 1st ones were good, mines a little newer and plain sscks, then the newest ones are also great.