Is It The Mobo Or The Cpu?

My system runs great at stock settings but, overclocking it has been terrible. BTW, I just switched from an amd 939 opteron system to intel quad core sytem. I expected to get a 3ghz or better stable oc on this system, but I cannot move my fsb up to 1333 stable. I can use the the A.I. overclocker in the bios and turn on a 20% auto overclock (2.88ghz) just fine but, I cannot get it to boot or post much past 2.7ghz manually. I have tried more voltage, lowering multipliers, etc. So my question is could I have a crappy CPU or MOBO? The A1's were all out of stock when I ordered my pc so I got the expensive one, striker extreme, hoping I was getting what I paid for. I see that many people don't like it.

Guest r3d c0m3t
My system runs great at stock settings but, overclocking it has been terrible. BTW, I just switched from an amd 939 opteron system to intel quad core sytem. I expected to get a 3ghz or better stable oc on this system, but I cannot move my fsb up to 1333 stable. I can use the the A.I. overclocker in the bios and turn on a 20% auto overclock (2.88ghz) just fine but, I cannot get it to boot or post much past 2.7ghz manually. I have tried more voltage, lowering multipliers, etc. So my question is could I have a crappy CPU or MOBO? The A1's were all out of stock when I ordered my pc so I got the expensive one, striker extreme, hoping I was getting what I paid for. I see that many people don't like it.

Right away I can tell your problem isn't the motherboard, nor is it the Q6600, it's your choice of cooling the Q6600. Whether you have a B3 or G0 revision doesn't really matter in this instance because both exert more heat that what I'm guessing your HSF can handle.

Pick up a better HSF like the Thermalright Ultra 120-Exteme, or the Tt Big Typhoon VX, then you'll be able to clock higher.

It is not the cooling. CPU is staying cool. MACarter02 is right, not booting or posting has nothing to do with cooling. I am running stable and cool for days in crysis and cod4 at 2.88ghz using the A.I. autoclocker, but I cannot manually OC to 2.8ghz. I am not new to overclocking. I am just new to oc'ing the intels. So I am guessing it is just something little i am missing in the settings. I am just curious to know if anyone else has had touble overclocking this combo of mobo and cpu.

Guest r3d c0m3t

My mistake. It seems I would have misread your post, or missed something. In any case, I'll have to suggest the same as Radodrill.

If the Striker Extreme uses an FSB Strap (200, 266, 333, and 400MHz) try setting it to 400 or 333MHz and see if you can clock up from there, and with that in mind set the Ai Clock Twister to Strong, and enable Transaction Booster with a setting of 0-1 for a 400MHz strap, and 1-3 for a 333MHz strap.

I cannot get it to boot or post much past 2.7ghz manually. I have tried more voltage, lowering multipliers, etc.
I believe it was this part that I missed. :eek2:

Thanks for the replies, I will try working with just 2 sticks of memory first. I will also change the dividers on the mem. I assumed with it being 1000mhz mem that i would not have to worry about it while ocing the cpu. You know what happens when you assume. I will give this a shot in the next few days and give you an update. is there a memtest for the asus mobos like the one my dfi lanparty's had?

No luck. I am going crazy. I have it stable at 2.9ghz 9x322, but that is as good as it will get. Everything is running cool. My memory is passing memtest at speeds over 1000mhz with 5-6-6-18 timings and up to 800mhz with 5-5-5-18 timings. I tried a 8x multiplier with higher fsb and didnt get anything better. I have tried bios version 1301 1305 and 1401. Do I need to order an A1?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Platoon

I have been at exact same spot as you. First of all, you have to roll back your BIOS to 1301 or 1303. The 1305 and 1401 isn´t OC friendly. When I tried that. I just put in 1333 mhz, and POST/Windows without changing vCore from auto. And second of all. The 680i chipset has a so called "FSB-hole" at around 395-415 FSB. So you might find it better to lower your multiplier and go beyond the 415 FSB. I also got post/windows at 415 without doing much. But I like to have 9 as multiplier because I can run win lower voltages then. I stay at 3,2 Ghz at the moment. Maybe one day, when I find the time, i´ll try yo take it to the max. Hope you find this usefull.

EDIT : Checkout slizone.com that´s where I found my informations about this prob.