Sign in to follow this  
chris.y2k.r1

AM2 Opteron Clocking

Sometimes I get the feeling I am the only person who's overclocking an AM2 Opteron (1212 in my case).

Is anyone else out here doing this?

I've had this system for over a year and recently changes PSUs. I can't believe the difference it made - actually I can believe it. I'm an idiot, I thought I was getting a good deal from an up and coming power supply manufacturer. Boy was I wrong. I bought a 750watt POS for the same money I could have purchased an OCZ 600W Stealth Xtreme which is what I wound up with. This made a tremendous difference in stability (ofcouse! duh) but surprisingly (well, not really) I was able to up the speeds well beyond my previous limits.

Right now, I am just completed an 8 hour Orthos run with my Asus Wifi Deluxe, Opteron 1212 and my OCZ Repear PC9200 set at 280x10 @ DDR800. This produces 2.8GHZ CPU with DDR1120 speeds. Unbelievable.

I am running a thermaltake water setup - I have the Kandalf server case which I absolutely love. It's a great piece of work.

I have two questions, really the purposes of this thread which are:

Is anyone else playing with an AM2 Opteron, and if so, what are your settings? (I'll show you mine if you show me yours - LOL)

The other question I have is, I was using NTune but only to show me the speeds I was running at, I did not use it for me than display purposes. I really liked the fact that you could see the GPU,CPU,HTTP,Memory and FSB speeds all in one nice tight screen. Is there a nice display utility than anyone is aware of that would show me all of this information?? GPU on that same screen is nice but not required. I just need a program that shows clearly, the motherboard settings with mem and CPU speeds.

Opteron 1212 @ 280x10

the opterons from am2/939 are twins. basically the same but yours uses ddr2 and mine used ddr.

I overclocked, and hit a wall at ~2.95. they dont liek to do 3ghz generally. good little processors, but too spendy to be worth it nowadays... sadly:sad:

the Opterons from am2/939 are twins. basically the same but yours uses DDR2 and mine used DDR.

I over clocked, and hit a wall at ~2.95. they don't like to do 3ghz generally. good little processors, but too spendy to be worth it nowadays... sadly:sad:

I don't think they are that high are they? Mine is under $200, I mean, what would an Intel of the same caliber cost?

See, that's odd - I had no problem hitting 3GHZ, and well above that actually. Today, as I type this, I am running 300x10 with memory set at the max, DDR800. That's 50% OC in the processor and the memory. The reason that's so amazing is that the processor controls both of those. Obviously CPU speed is what it is, but with the memory controller on board, overclocking the RAM is a major load on the processor as well. So getting a 50% OC out of both is a monstrous statement about this little chip. That's an incredible 3GHZ with memory and http @ 1200 MHZ.

So, just to say it again, that's 3GHZ CPU, DDR1200 (PC9600) and HTTP 2.4 GHZ. Unbelievable. Show me a 2GHZ/DDR2 Intel chip that'll do that.

Oh, by my own admittance, I have not quite managed 100% Orthos stability yet. Orthos doesn't crash but one of the system service/svchost processes does. Orthos will just run and run. So, I have a little more tweaking to do but I'm sure I can get it there.

I should mention that my processor is liquid cooled - but it's no great liquid cooling system. It's just the stock Thermaltake setup that comes with the Kandalf case. Only the processor is liquid. Everything else is just good old air cooled.