Can Vista 64-Bit Ultimate be reinstalled?

CharmedLover84

Got a question for you folks, and since I was supposed to be in bed 45 minutes ago, i didn't use the search function...

I'm wondering, simply, if Vista Ultimate 64-Bit OEM (System Builders Only) version can be reinstalled, if I, for instance, upgrade processor.

I know XP can be, although occasionally it requires you call to reactivate (as long as it's only active on one computer of course, which I plan on keeping it that way for Vista too).

Is Vista the same way? Or does it literally only let you activate it once and that's it? I'm speaking of this version specifically:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...KX0DER&v=glance

Thanks for replies in advance... I want to get Vista to try triple SLI out since I'm gonna have 3 Ultras on hand next week anyway, just wanna know if I'm gonna be wasting my money getting the OEM version if I decide to upgrade any major part other than my video card in the next year LOL

Nope...I have an OEM license as well and when I tried to update the chipset driver for my motherboad, vista complained that I "altered" the hardware under which my license was activated initially, so I'd be careful with what you wanna modify...

iv re-iinstalled my 64bit home premium oem 3 times since each time the installation was bugged

and i did activate it 3 times aswell

all the times i did it over the net

and my XP iv installed like 50 times, if online doesnt work, just give them a call

Aighty then, I guess I'll be giving reports of Triple SLI from Vista Ultimate 64-Bit in a few days :-D Thanks for the responses folks. Found some helpful articles this morning saying any upgrade of hardware will most likely not require a complete reinstall/reactivation now, so I'm happy, just gotta make sure I get all those pesky hotfixes/updates when I get it installed, which won't be until after I have Triple SLI ready to go (bridge + 3 cards sitting and waiting to be installed)

iv re-iinstalled my 64bit home premium oem 3 times since each time the installation was bugged

and i did activate it 3 times aswell

all the times i did it over the net

and my XP iv installed like 50 times, if online doesnt work, just give them a call

Provided you don't change the Motherboard or CPU...in his case, he mentions a CPU change...if his OEM license was already activated with the old CPU, after changing the CPU vista WILL complain that the hardware has been changed and he will have to call microsoft

Reinstalled mine twice with a cpu, mobo, and hard drive change in the middle and I didn't have any problems. This of course was before I completely unistalled it and put it in a box next to the other never installed, never used copy I have of it.

Reinstalled mine twice with a cpu, mobo, and hard drive change in the middle and I didn't have any problems. This of course was before I completely unistalled it and put it in a box next to the other never installed, never used copy I have of it.

Of course...but once you enter your OEM license and windows is ACTIVATED, your machine spec is sent to microsoft, after that if you try and change the Motherboard you WILL be required to activate your windows again, receiving a shiny message saying you "altered" your hardware since first activation....as I mentioned on my first post it HAPPENED to me when updated my mobo chipset drivers...