Sign in to follow this  
Neural_Overload

Normal idle cpu temps?

What are normal idle cpu temps?

Currently my temps are with everest (at idle):

CPU 50C

Core #1 46C

Core #2 42C

I've seen the CPU temp. get into the 60s at load. The temps lower when I take the side of the case off. Does that mean I need better air cooling? Should I try re-seating the heatsink (stock from AMD)? Honestly, this is my first build and I'm at a loss as to what is wrong.

Well, you said it gets better if you remove that side panel, that means BAD airflow.

Ideally, you want an intake 120mm fan at the front and an outtake 120mm fan at the back with the outtake fan being slightly more powerful than the intake.

Should I try re-seating the heatsink (stock from AMD)?

I would guess that you are also using the stock thermal interface pad that came with the stock cooler as well?

I would upgrade that cooler and thermal pad! Consider one of Thermaltake's coolers and some premium thermal paste like MX2, Shin-Etsu, AS5 or AS Ceramique. Upgrading your cpu cooler, getting better case fans, should surely knock that idle temp down to the 30's C. At load, at stock voltage, you should not be seeing anything close to 50C with a premium cpu cooler and good case fans. Unless of course, your ambient temp is like 90F or 32C.

When I built the computer I took the stock TIM off and used AS5.

I've been considering getting a couple of these fans for the case and cooler below: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835185006

and either this http://www.svc.com/tuniq.html or this http://www.svc.com/ultra-120-extreme.html for the CPU

Oh, and one more question. How much of a difference in temps does lapping generally give?

cooler = more noise

i prefer cooler, 50 idle on the socket sensor is not a problem, as long as the core temps are around 40...... with a 900 rpm

Unless you prefer to sit next to a windtunnel and have your socket sensor read 30c.....

if you setup your bios correctly you can have your CPU fan kick in to the next treshold (2800rpm on 55c) your system will then not get too hot.

cooler = more noise

i prefer cooler, 50 idle on the socket sensor is not a problem, as long as the core temps are around 40...... with a 900 rpm

Unless you prefer to sit next to a windtunnel and have your socket sensor read 30c.....

if you setup your bios correctly you can have your CPU fan kick in to the next treshold (2800rpm on 55c) your system will then not get too hot.

Noise is not really that much of a problem for me at the moment. I just want to be able to put the side of the case on so that dust and pet fur doesn't get into the computer and be able to do so without burning up my CPU or other components. As it is, I have my 3 antec tricool fans all set to high and the temps scare me because they are close to the max temps at idle with the side of the case on. So as I said before, noise is not really going to be too much of a problem if it helps protect my investment ($1,400 which was rather large for me, as I don't have a job at the moment).

Just thought of a couple of questions:

1) How much of a difference in temps does lapping generally give?

2) Is dealing with SVC as good as or close to being as good as newegg? I've never dealt with them so I'm a little worried about using them.