Sign in to follow this  
ahmadka

I got some mods installed..Need some advice...

Hi guys! I recently got some A. C. Ryan mods to decorate my PC with...they were mainly light mods..Anyways, here are a few pictures concerning the questions below them..have a look :) :

75740919od0.th.jpg

18594281gf2.th.jpg

48327600lx2.th.jpg

Now the questions:

1) I need tips on how to how the hide the inverters from the view... (See the second picture above)

2) Should the two fans (on the window) be blowing the air into the casing, or out of the casing ? Right now, both are set to be blowing into the casing... I am thinking that maybe the bottom fan should pump air into the casing, while the top one should be pumping it out. This way, the air would be moving from the lower front-middle part of the casing, to the top middle-back part of the casing. Also, air would be passing over the CPU and GPU at the same time...

3) Another problem I am facing is that the screws that came with the fans, are not 'screwing in' !!! This is because the hole does not have the diagonal 'lines' on it, which allow the screw to 'screw in'...I tried hammering the thing in, but that didnt help. The only solution I can think of is maybe trying to drill it into the hole using a power drill machine, very slowly...What are your views on this ? Am I missing some key point ? (See the third picture above)

4) I also have an LED canon light (not shown in any of the pictures) which I need to place somewhere, inside or outside the casing...Where do you suggest will it look best ?

Thanx in advance guys...

1) Not too sure; maybe more pics of the case would help

2) Since those fans are in close proximity they should both move air in the same direction; otherwise exhaust air can be sucked back into the intake

3) Fan screws are self-tapping, it sometimes takes a bit of pressrue to get it started.

4) Again, more pics of the case would help

try screwing the fan screws in ith the fan outside the case to get the threads a place to start, it'll give you more room to work...

I would leave the fans blowing into the case.

1) on top of a dvd drive is alwayus a nice place to hide the inverter or you could alwaus put some "velcro" thing and put it in the top of case

I would hide the inverters in the bottom of the drivebay or extend the cables, remove the housing and place them on the right side of the case if there is room. You should be able to attach them to the right side of the drive cage. I always remove the inverter housing and replace it with something that can let them 'breathe' more freely, they seem to last a lot longer that way.

Both fans should be blowing into the case as previously stated.

The screw part of your question has already been answered by AUS

The led light could be mounted on the inside edge of the drive cage pointing at the mobo, so that it's out of sight.

OK, regarding the inverters...the thing is that the wires connecting the PCI bracket (with the on/off switch) with the inverter itself are too short (the same also applies for the cathode--inverter connecting wire)...i need to connect the PCI bracket as well, for which the wire is too short i think...

the two things i can think of are, that i either hide the inverters directly underneath the 7900GT card, which is probably not wise, as the heat from the inverter could potentially heat up the card :(....or, i cud try extending the wires myself, which i have never done so far :P...

regarding the screws....well, think i applied a lot of force that day, to try and weave the thread in the plastic....it just didn't...the screw kept getting stuck :(....i will try to give it another go tomorrow maybe :P

Also, making both fans blow into the casing makes it *very* noisy :P...at first, i thought something had gone horribly wrong :P....although, it does reduce my graphics card's idle temperature by about 10*C~12*C :)

I also took the time out to take some more pictures of the mods in their installed state, to provide you lot with some more perspective :) ....

image001db2.th.jpg

image002mp2.th.jpg

image003sn7.th.jpg

image004ew8.th.jpg

image005wk0.th.jpg

image006eg5.th.jpg

image007ph6.th.jpg

image008og8.th.jpg

image009if1.th.jpg

image010jq0.th.jpg

image011nb0.th.jpg

image012yq2.th.jpg

image013ef4.th.jpg

Here's some tips regarding the A.C.Ryan CCFLs; extending the supply cable to the inverter is no problem at all, just splice in more wire; the lines from the inverter to the CCFLs can be extended, but this should be kept to a minimum (10cm or so is OK, but too much can result in part of the tube not being illuminated)

I'd probably hide the inverters in the 3.5" bays and extend the power supply cables and the wire for the one CCFL tube to reach.

You might want to put those Blackfire 4 fans on a controller to bring them down maybe to half speed (really helps with the noise).

You might want to put those Blackfire 4 fans on a controller to bring them down maybe to half speed (really helps with the noise).

If you're going to do a fan controller, you might as well get one with a built-in inverter, and or built in on-off light switch that you can wire in. Thus, you will be able to control the fans from the front of the case and won't have to worry about extending wires to the rear of the case from the inverters.

yeah, I think I should get a controller....but is there any windows based software i can use to control the fan speed ? I tried Speedfan, but its not working for me for some reason, or i dont know how to use it :P

regarding the extension of wires.....since i have never done this before, can someone please outline the procedure for me ? ... :)...and what type/kind of wire would i need, etc... ?

Programs like Speedfan can control fans; but not all headers on the motherboard are controllable.

The easiest way to extend the fan wiring is to buy a pre-wired extension. What I did was to clip the wires and splice in a section of 22Ga stranded wire, insulating the solder joints with heatshrink and then re-sleeving the extended cable.

sorry im replying after such a long time ....been real busy with uni work lately :)..

anyways, is there is a solderless way to extend the wire, because i dont have soldering hardware...

anyways, is there is a solderless way to extend the wire, because i dont have soldering hardware...

As I said, buy a pre-wired extension; it has a male fan header on one end and the female fan connector at the other.

Places like frozenCPU, xoxide, and Performance-PCs will stock them.