OC'ing with nTune crashes control panel

Hi Wevsspot, that's exactly the guide i used. I just put more profiles in the than 3. The guide says you can put as many as you want in. But I'm wondering if I'm having an "overlap" effect, cancelling out the fan speed change, cuz the settings are overlapping?

I'm thinking about that monitoring issue. It says if you enable constant backround monitoring, it can drastically reduce your system performance. But if i have it minimized, it's monitoring temps, right? I have read through the entire guide, as well as comments in other major forums like anandtech, and i can't find anything on this.

I can even exit out of RT, and the min fan speed still sticks, after i learned how to unlock that screen through power user, so my fan will never go below 40%.

How many profiles did you set up Wev? I, like snugglealufacus asked before would like to know if and do the fan profiles stick if we exit out of RT, seeing as how the settings will stick even if we unistall it.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have three fan speed profiles set and used the exact instructions (including temperature and duty cycle settings) as those found in the guide.

I never bother exiting RT. I have it set to startup with Windows, but since I couldn't get the Sedona/Coolbits registry hacks to work with these particular drivers RT was my next best choice.

Your best bet for a definitive answer to your question might be to post over at guru3D and post the question.

All I know for sure, is that with my three profiles setup exactly as described in the tutorial, that my fan speed behaves exactly as it should based on the profiles I've created.

You have a good point about having possibly overlapped temperatures or speed settings somehow. Worth looking into.

As far as background monitoring goes, yes if you start monitoring and minimize the application (i.e. your gpu temps are in your taskbar) it is monitoring temps, fan speeds or anything else you tell it to monitor and creates a run chart of the data. You can use the slider to look at various points in time by moving the bar.

And if you want time to do a real in-depth analysis log the results to file.

Well, i deleted all my old profiles and re-entered the ones according to the guru3d guide. One thing i don't like is these cards are very loud with fan on 100%. Good news is that it never gets that hot that it needs the fan @ 100%!

I'm just barely able to break the 12,000 barrier in '06 oc'ed @ 775/1800/1100. fan @ steady 80%, barely reached 60c. I get artifacts from ati at anything at or above 780 core, ati tool doesn't seem to like the shader speed high, but i bet i could get a higher score in '06, but i can't see the temps, and running any monitor will hamper the score.

But this memory oc's like crazy!! No artifacts at all for over 10 minutes in ati tool at above settings. But i ain't done yet. Someone had posted an oc of 1000core, 2498sh, 2200mem-(effective). And he posted screenies of ati tool, '06 and a time of 10 min no artifacting.

How the hell did he do that?? That is really hard to believe! But the screens are there...

Edit; It was snugglealufacus that posted that. He called it a "what the hell" moment...lol. snugglealufacus, how in the wide, wide, world of sports did you get that card up that high w/o it exploding?? Jeeeesh! :eek2:

Plus, he was using the crappy drivers!! (169.21)

wha...? What's with the sarcasm? there's no need for that. That was totaly uncalled for. I was wrong, and i admit it. We were all having a great conversation, and you insult me... :confused:

I didn't mean that to be personally offensive, I was just making a joking comment about the fact that RivaTuner actually changing the BIOS/Drivers of the card permanently to where it would stick even if RivaTuner is uninstalled is completely unfounded and as far as I know, wrong.

Sorry if my jokey mood was offensive, I apologize ;) I have no beef with anyone here lol

I'm glad we seem to have gotten this resolved.

To Snuf, you don't have to have RivaTuner running in order for the fan speeds to work IF you have the boxes checked in the Low Level Driver Fan Speed Control to make it enabled at startup of Windows etc...

I found out something rather disturbing, for some reason when in SLI in Vista 64-Bit, RivaTuner will not control both fans in SLI mode, the only way to control each one independently is with ::blehs:: NTune.

Anyone know of a better way? I like my cards happy-cool so 60% on my lower card's fan is just not okay with me LOL

Well, it did come off that way, saying it I was "spewing BS". Kinda hard to find a humurous tone behind those words when i don't even know you. You could've used more tact and expressed it in a more friendly manner. Apoligy accepted. But I read in a few places, tutorials and in forums, that making those low level changes stick in the registry, therefore, you can delete the program and they are stuck at what you set them at. I know...i did it.

I enable the backround monitoring, which, while i was waiting for my new card, found out that enabling backround monitoring can drastically slowdown system performance, so i redownloaded it and clicked "reset all drivers to default" and the backround monitor dissapeared, but my fan profiles were still there. That shows they stay in the registry. Try it for your self if you want.

As for your sli question, i would squeeze Radodrill for info, cuz he's the ONLY person i know that has ntune running ok on his system.

Thanks again for your kind words in pm. Glad you're back, and don't be such a stranger! :angel:

As far as your question about sli, Radodrill is a good one to squeeze for info. He's very up on the tech and for some reason, seems to be the only person i know from multiple forums that can get n'tune to work right.

Let's just say that nTune does what I need/use it for; which is just for testing new graphics clocks before flashing them to the BIOS. AFAIK the major issues people have with nTune are related to system (CPU/RAM) overclocking, which I do in the BIOS.

I've never messed with fan profiles in nTune (let alone fan settings in SLI) because I've been watercooling my graphics (had the new cards less than a week before pulling the stock sink to attach the full-cover block).

I dun wanna go liquid on my cards til I'm sitting on a box full of 9800GTXs, lol, too expensive and pointless with the 9s being so close, even if they are only a 30% increase over current cards, I imagine 3 9800GTXs with my processor on a 780i would be pretty pimp. We'll see, I guess, I'm still waiting on my darn third 8800 to get here so I can try it out >:O, SLI and Vista 64-Bit have been workin' well though. Well enough that I haven't touched XP in 3-4 days.

That is a nice setup you got there, Charmed...can't you get closer to 4ghz on that cpu? A nice oc, but sounds like with your experience, you could get it higher, you might need it to feed 3 9800's, aside from 3 ultra's? Or is that enough to not bottleneck the cards? I don't know much about bottlenecking.

(Valid question...no sarcasm intended.) :)

Glad to hear Vista has been playing nice for you. Others aren't so fortunate, so i read.

Edit; in retrospect, it was kinda "dork-ish" for me to think that RT was making any changes to the cards bios. I should know better by now that that can only be done as Radodrill said, using a dos based flash method. :dog: