OC'ing with nTune crashes control panel

I'm trying to see how far i can get my 8800GTS 512 for fun. I'm following the nVidia GPU OC guide here, and ive tried both coolbits and nTune, neither work. My current GPU BIOS version is 62.92.16.00.02, and current ForceWare version is 169.21.

For nTune, I tested the version the page links to (5.05.47.00) and the latest version (5.05.54.00) and both of them give me this error when trying to open the nVidia control panel...

nVidiacontrolpanelfailure.jpg

When I uninstall nTune and try the coolbits method, I get to the part where I can change my settings on the OC tab, but when I hit test settings, I get this error...

coolbits.jpg?t=1199233690

Notice the only thing that I did was raise the core frequency by 1MHz.

so can anyone help me out with this issue? I would really like to see how high my 3DMark score can go (right now at 9000). Thanks for any help!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RandallTank
If you're using ntune, i highly recommend getting rid of it immediatly. The evga forums are filled with posts by experienced people AND mods that say it screws up your system.

and as far as temp monitor on riva tuner goes, if you don't believe me, pull up the green chart with that little red dot that you clicked to enable temp monitoring. Now right click on it. You'll get a warning pop-up that says enabling backround monitoring will compromise system performance.

Think about it. Your cpu is constantly in use utilizing this thing, taking up resources. even if you uninstall it from your system, the low level drivers are set to monitor temps.

The ONLY way to undo this is to open riva tuner, main page, go down to the 2nd driver pull down menu, left click on the last icon and click "set all driver settings to default". than you won't see the temp icons in your taskbar anymore, and anytime you want to see the temps, either just get ati tool (it works with nvidea cards too) or pull up that green chart again and you'll see all your monitoring graphs, including temps. I learned this by doing it myself, so i know it works. :)

read imo

What does (imo) mean? Sorry to see you're having problems. If you're still having problems, let me know. If i can be of any help, I'd be more than happy to. That ntune is a really nasty program from what i have read by many people. Even the mods have it in their sigs as a warning at the evga forum about ntune.

If it has made low level adjustments to your driver, and then you uninstalled it, it might have made permanent changes and/or corrupt files. Run driver cleaner pro in safe mode, including the "clean .cab files" option, then re-installing latest drivers with anti-virus OFF. Best to do anyway with riva tuner 2.06 as previous drivers haven't included the g92 in the compatibility update.

Worst case scenario is you might be looking at a win re-install. Read my post about modifying the config file for riva tuner to work with latest drivers in the g92 thread.

From what I've heard nTune does have issues related to CPU overclocking, but I haven't had any problems like yours on my rig (running XP Pro and XP X64); only problem I've run across for is that the test overclock in coolbits doesn't work under XP X64, which is probably due to the 64-bit drivers.

Perhaps the issues you're having are in part related to Vista.

I honest to go had no idea what that information was talking about Randall. I read through it a few times and saw that it messed with low level parts of drivers, so I uninstalled nTune and RiviaTuner, and then proceeded to uninstall/reinstall my nVidia drivers (with a restart in between, of course). Still have the same problem when using the coolbits hack. It is very strange, actually. I cannot save any overclocking (or underclocking, for that matter) settings that I custom choose so that I can test them in 3DMark, because in order to apply the changes, it has to pass the test. And don't get me started on the 'Detect Optimal Frequencies' button. it will bring about 50 of those error message windows up and wont stop until I click cancel on one of them lol.

*update (to keep from double posting)*

ATI Tool and Powerstrip both work.. somehow. I will just use them. the only question i have now is how do i manually jack up the fan on this toaster? holy crap i can barely keep my finger on it for 5 seconds. no worries if my computer gets stolen, my fingerprints are burned into the PCB board on this sucker. My room is maybe 73-75ºf (a little warm) and ATITool says that OC'ed to 720/1000 the card will hit i think 80ºc. The fan doesn't speed up at all, it almost feels like the fan itself is having trouble even spinning (you know those little *bumps* in fans when you spin them with your finger, the fan on this GPU feels like its having trouble powering itself over those bumps).

I don't know, but I think i should double-post for this 'what the hell' moment.

This is actually one of those things where you know something is most likely going wrong, but you hope to god that nothing is because if everything is a-ok then you have just become the worlds greatest.. everything.

my 'what the hell' moment - check the clocks

what did i break? lol. right now it just passed 14 minutes, still no errors and GPU is steady at 77ºc. I stopped the scanning and the box says I'm getting ~600fps.

Guest RandallTank
I honest to go had no idea what that information was talking about Randall. I read through it a few times and saw that it messed with low level parts of drivers, so I uninstalled nTune and RiviaTuner, and then proceeded to uninstall/reinstall my nVidia drivers (with a restart in between, of course).

just saying that nTune=bad and you should delete it

You do realize that any settings you made are permanant even after you uninstall riva tuner, don't you? Did you enable backround monitoring? Do you see the temp icons in your taskbar? I don't know if ntune's settings stay in the registry even after you delete it, but they do for riva tuner.

You do realize that any settings you made are permanant even after you uninstall riva tuner, don't you? Did you enable backround monitoring? Do you see the temp icons in your taskbar? I don't know if ntune's settings stay in the registry even after you delete it, but they do for riva tuner.

Well then.. time to reformat. I don't mind, nothing special on this partition anyways (just formatted yesterday) so I'll clean the C drive and start fresh :)

Thanks a whole lot everyone, help is greatly appreciated!