Sign in to follow this  
General Septem

Does anyone have a good recommendation?

My Gateway HD Widescreen monitor failed on me after barely two years of use. I came home last night to find the screen blank, and the power button didn't do anything.

My father had the same exact monitor and it did the same exact thing several months ago. Gateway customer service basically told me to go fxxx myself because it was a retail model and I had to go through Circuit City to get any satisfaction.

I really don't want another Gateway, not that I have much of a choice since the company doesn't exist anymore anyway. Can anyone recommend a good 1680x1050 monitor under $300? What should I look for? Thanks in advance. :tooth:

Also, does anyone know anything about SCEPTRE monitors?

Thanks for the reply.

How long have you had it? Does it tilt forward at all?

Had it probably about 6 months or so.

Only tilts backwards from vertical; but does have mount points for wall/desk mount monitor arms.

I love my Acer AL2216BW. I also have done about 5 hours of gaming on a buddies Samsung 226BW, and I prefer the screen on my Acer. The Samsung has a glossy display, which I'm not a big fan of, and it costs more than the Acer. The only real problem with the Acer is the stand is a bit wobbly. The Samsung has a better stand, less bleed through issues (which basically disappeared after one week on my Acer) and is a brighter panel (which is imo not a factor because I still use like 50% brightness on my Acer and 40% on the Samsung).

Yes, the Samsung warrants the extra $80, as a better stand is worth that alone practically. At the same time, $80 is $80 and both panels are imo equivalent when it comes to gaming, watching movies and general web browsing. I chose to pocket the $80.

Good choice i am really happy with mine as well. I am thinking about picking up another one for dual view setup. I can get them here in Canada for about 270$.

Also, does anyone know anything about SCEPTRE monitors?
I built a couple of computers for a 60' ocean going sailboat and used the existing Sceptre monitor.

That thing must be 6 or 7 years old and still works fine.

NavSta.jpg

NavSta2.jpg

I can't tell you anything about more recent models but if this one is any indication I'd say they're good.

Bill

Dell 2007WFP - I got lucky as I got the A03 S-IPS, the earlier version had banding issues and I believe they may have changed the panel used on the more recent models.

Some reviews here:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/...hp/Dell_2007WFP

Also I didn't buy from Dell which got me a better warranty for the same price.

Why do I love it? Well I'm not a photographer, photoshopper so colour accuracy is not a massive issue for me but I think the Dell is damn good for my needs. The stand is nice solid aluminum piece which rotates, slides vertically and swivels from portrait to landscape. Plus it has plenty of ports and 4 usb slots.

I've read people complaining about the video performance but that's due quite a bit to the GPU and drivers. Going from from an X1950Pro to the 8800GTS I noticed that video playback was a lot worse, especially in largely dark areas.

Samsung 226BW here, the only thing I don't like is the complete lack of adjustment and the slight upwards tilt. It is fine when directly on my desk, but to clear my center channel, I have to sit it higher.

I'm currently using a Samsung 226BW and I really like it ;)

I have a 226BW, also. It is my first LCD monitor. I would buy another one tomorrow. Samsung's warranty is for 3 years. I purchased it through newegg for $269.99 after a $30.00 savings and $40.00 rebate. Go to newegg and read the reviews.