Do you use DX10 with your DX10 capable GPU?

snugglealufacus

70 members have voted

1. 1.

• Vista
    • XP

the other thing I hate the most is that it defaults to save files as ".docx" or ".xlsx" or such...that stupid "x" tag on the end of the file extension GUARANTEES that it won't open properly (if at all) on previous Office versions...which is just about 99% of the world who hasn't upgraded to 2007. So what happens when students/employees/etc save . at school/work without bothering to look at the default file extension of .docx and they get it home only to find out Office XP or 2003 or even 97 won't touch the file?

Bugs me too; my Prof uses (and claims to like) office 2007, so most of the files he sends me are docx/xlsx. That said, with the compatibility pack installed I haven't had any issues opening those files and saving them to standard doc/xls format.

Also, I've found out that office 2003 and 2007 can run in parallel on one machine; after installing 2007 just install 2003 as well (heard there's a bit of a glitch when installing 2003 first), but the compatibility pack is still necessary for 2003 to properly handly the new file formats.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest r3d c0m3t

XP. I don't use Vista because of the performance decreases, lack of proper stability, and so forth.

Vista just isn't my cup o' Joe.

Lack of stability? really? I've never seen a problem with stability over a mixture of low end to high end rigs doing all sorts of things. (with more hardware config's than i can count on all my fingers and toes).

As far as performance decreases go your spot on.

Call me whatever you want, but I personally enjoy the '07 format. It is easier to complete my things. I just write my paper, and then go left to right on the tabs, and make it shiny. I do agree, though. The .docx extension is useless. the only increase I see is that the file is about 5% smaller than a similar .doc file but considering I have access to over 2TB of storage space in my house, what the hell do I care about missing 5kb? I mean seriously, i have 2 250gb's in my comp and a 500 gig nas, supposed to be 1tb, but instead its 942GB. and how much do I care?

I just make sure that whenever I install 07 on someone comp, that I open all of the programs up and set the default saving extension to .doc. clears up the issues at the expense of the extra 5kb.

I use my 8800GTS with in my main rig with windows XP.

On my 2nd rig I have vista, but it doesn't convince / Persuade me at all to upgrade my main rig to vista yet.

Maybe i put a cheap dx10 card in the vista rig.

Call me whatever you want, but I personally enjoy the '07 format. It is easier to complete my things. I just write my paper, and then go left to right on the tabs, and make it shiny. I do agree, though. The .docx extension is useless. the only increase I see is that the file is about 5% smaller than a similar .doc file but considering I have access to over 2TB of storage space in my house, what the hell do I care about missing 5kb? I mean seriously, i have 2 250gb's in my comp and a 500 gig nas, supposed to be 1tb, but instead its 942GB. and how much do I care?

I just make sure that whenever I install 07 on someone comp, that I open all of the programs up and set the default saving extension to .doc. clears up the issues at the expense of the extra 5kb.

I like Word 07 for it's Works Cited abilities :) Makes it very simple to create a bibliography page :tooth:

DX10 card on XP so no DX10 but DX9 is running mighty quick for me.

As to Office 2007, I like the new ribbon, sure its a bit new and you have to put a little effort in to learn it, but for new users and those non-power users it can be pretty handy.

As to backwards compatibility with older file formats - I think MS do better with files than AMD or Intel do with their chipsets. This is probably worthy of a new poll "What have you changed the most MOBO's or file formats? What cost you the most?"

I will use XP for my next Rig, as far as DX10 goes, by the time games look noticeably different in DX9 and 10, the current DX10 cards wont be able to play them with DX10 qualites...oh wait, they cant do that now either :x