Do you use DX10 with your DX10 capable GPU?

snugglealufacus

70 members have voted

1. 1.

• Vista
    • XP

I was just wondering, because I got my eVGA 8800GTS G92 and was all excited to go to DX10. After hearing about how crysis takes a nosedive when upgrading to DX10, the only games left that I wouldn't use D3D9 in are Bioshock (which by the way, the water looks excellent in) and Flight Simulator X.

Now with the dramatic performance drop upgrading to Vista in order to run DX10 I have to ask the question: How many of you actually bother using Vista with your 8 series card or the ATI counterpart (not real updated on the ATI models) or would rather deal without the marginal upgrades and just be happy with a speedy XP?

I'm seriously deciding to go back to XP and deal without DX10 for a while considering that most of my games quit working when I update them to their latest patches... I'm looking at you, TimeShift...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still using XP (X86 and X64); Main reason I'm not "upgrading" is that I don't like the feel of Vista or office 2007, M$ has made it much harder to do simple tasks and totally re-arranged everything so I don't really know where to find stuff.

You could do a dual boot to play the DX10 games but run everything else in XP...BTW there is a way to enable the "very high" settings under DX9 for Crysis. I think you just edit a file or something but supposedly it looks great and runs well also...

I would have to go with rad's statement because of the fact that everything has been rearranged w/wo new features. Besides the vista troubleshooting codes are all new compared to XP and by looking at the benchmarks all around the net i'd have to go with XP for gaming anyday.

Note: The Crysis DX10 Hack is right here if anyone wants to look at it.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/story1585.html

You could do a dual boot to play the DX10 games but run everything else in XP...BTW there is a way to enable the "very high" settings under DX9 for Crysis. I think you just edit a file or something but supposedly it looks great and runs well also...

or you could just not use Vista at all since DX10 adds absolutely zero to the equation EXCEPT lower frame rates and worse performance (notice I didn't say it adds to the visuals because it doesn't in any of my tests...nor anyone else's that I've seen)

Office 2007 = god I hate it. Momma uses it because that is what her high school uses, and I freaking HATE it. I'm gonna stick with Office 2003 for a while.

or you could just not use Vista at all since DX10 adds absolutely zero to the equation EXCEPT lower frame rates and worse performance (notice I didn't say it adds to the visuals because it doesn't in any of my tests...nor anyone else's that I've seen)

Office 2007 = god I hate it. Momma uses it because that is what her high school uses, and I freaking HATE it. I'm gonna stick with Office 2003 for a while.

Well I agree it doesn't offer much besides worse performance but if you were actually able to run a game with everything on high under DX10 and get playable frame rates then there is SOME difference in graphics although I certainly don't feel it justifies it's crappy frame rates for the few extra pretties that you get. Hell, when I'm playing a game I'm too busy looking for someone to kill instead of staring at the water or light coming through the leaves. I just mentioned that because some people get a warm fuzzy feeling playing under DX10...

I'm looking forward to OpenGL 3.0 though...I've seen a few screen shots and it's just simply amazing. Oh yeah, they're creating it to take full advantage of the newer DX10 cards also...woot

You ain't a kidding there; I can't find anything in their new menu bar, it's a freaking retarded layout on M$ part. Why can't they just follow the principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Well I agree it doesn't offer much besides worse performance but if you were actually able to run a game with everything on high under DX10 and get playable frame rates then there is SOME difference in graphics although I certainly don't feel it justifies it's crappy frame rates for the few extra pretties that you get.

look at games like Crysis, Lost Planet, etc that have DX9 and DX10 modes. I've yet to see a single bit of difference between DX9 and DX10 in visuals to this day. The one thing I do see is performance penalties (but is it because of DX10? Or is it because of the abortion known as "Vista"?)

one day we'll be happy with DX10 and Windows7 (not Vista, whatever comes after Vista) but for the moment, there's just no reason to try to enjoy either unless you are "bleeding edge" which used to describe most of us, but now describes only a couple of us =/

You ain't a kidding there; I can't find anything in their new menu bar, it's a freaking retarded layout on M$ part. Why can't they just follow the principle of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

the other thing I hate the most is that it defaults to save files as ".docx" or ".xlsx" or such...that stupid "x" tag on the end of the file extension GUARANTEES that it won't open properly (if at all) on previous Office versions...which is just about 99% of the world who hasn't upgraded to 2007. So what happens when students/employees/etc save . at school/work without bothering to look at the default file extension of .docx and they get it home only to find out Office XP or 2003 or even 97 won't touch the file?

Thank Microsoft for this as well as Vista and DX10 (and all the security issues, stability issues, etc)

So what happens when students/employees/etc save . at school/work without bothering to look at the default file extension of .docx and they get it home only to find out Office XP or 2003 or even 97 won't touch the file?

By installing the Compatibility Pack along side of Microsoft Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003, you will be able open, edit, save, and create files using the robust file formats new to the 2007 Microsoft Office system.

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats

hate to provide an alternative opinion, but TBH I actually don't mind office 2007.

I think the new menu's are fine, its defiantly a neater and more logical way of presenting things. Once you get used to it its perfectly fine. Granted that first week is an absolute arse and i did find myself swearing alot.

But 99% of the things I do everyday in office can be handled by the usual shortcuts, so all in all its ok.

And dont forget.... its shiney!!!!

Ok ignore that last bit, I figured that the quicker i get used to using things like vista and new office etc the better, give it a year or two when everyone starts moving over and you go for a job and the only difference is that you have vista experience (ie know it inside and out) but the other guy doesn't because although he's clever etc etc he was to stubborn to realise that as much as we all want to see linux on more pc's, what ever microsoft produce is always going to be the most used OS in the industry.

Also I already have had to help deal with some friends pc's that are vista and it has given me a few headaches as to the way around some things (the retarded hiding of in depth wifi settings being one). Hence the conclusion i came to above.

That's correct information Praz, but I still think its a questionable practice of MS to force an incompatible format on people who for sure will be a lot more confused than any of us. MS even has forced this to be the standard format for some crucial documentation available for download (take a look at Vista information). Why do they only use these new x-something formats? Hey, did they miss the worldwide used PDF format?

It's kind of strange that MS continues to mistreat their own customers in their continuing attempt to lock people to their software. If they ever want to get a *nix user to switch side, which they obviously don't think is possible in view of this and other moves, how will they pass their information forward when using formats nobody in the open-source world will be able to read?

"We've got this great piece of information for you which you can't read"?

On the other why do I care?