Sign in to follow this  
akanewbie

Hot CPU temperature sensor - cold to touch

I recently just upgraded my processor from a 3500+ single core to a 4200+ dual core. However when I installed the new processor I kept getting temperature readings of 50 degrees at idle and 75+ degrees at load.

I'm using the same heatsink as I was using before with the 3500 and I've tried reapplying the thermal paste/heatsink several times. I suspected that the thermal paste I might be using was out of date so I bought a new tube but I'm still having the same problem.

The unusual thing is that the heatsink is cold to touch which would seem a but wierd with such high cpu temperatures. I was wondering if perhaps there might be some known conflict with the SLI-DR motherboard and dual core cpu's. Perhaps the bios add's together the two core temperatures or the temperature reading is inaccurate? Btw I have flashed the mb to the new bios on the dfi website but it's had no effect.

what are you using to find out the temps and if your worried set the shutdown temp to 60.

The board should shut down at 75+

is that celcus or farenhiet.

All the temps I've quoted are in celcius.

I've been checking the temperatures using the bios and smartguardian, speedfan and coretemp. They all show really high temperatures.

I've had to disable the shutdown option in the bios to be able to stay in windows for anything longer than 30 seconds. But I figured it might be ok for a while what with the heatsink not been hot.

What I'm really wondering is if the temperatures are wrong or right. If they're wrong I can just RMA the cpu and if they're right I can see about buying a differant heatsink. :/

when you updated did you do a fresh install

bios clear

bios flash

is it stable

reseat the cooler

have you a temp probe there quite cheap to check the centre of the cooler it looks quite elaborate poss cool where you can touch but at the centre??

um it's late for me sorry i'm blunt

I reinstalled windows and then did a bios flash and selected the fail safe defaults (not a cmos reset, I might try that now).

I've stress tested the cpu for about 30 seconds which was when the temperature reached 70 degrees and was still climbing so i stopped the test. I've had one system restart but that was before I disabled the bios temperature shut down and I've had no restarts since.

I've reseated the cooler and reapplyed the thermal paste at least 10 times now and I've tried using 3 differant pastes.

I'm afraid I dont have a temperature probe but because of the way my cooler is designed its possible to put my finger on the topside of the heatsink base which is only about 5 milimeters thick.

PS - I just ran a longer stress test a few minutes ago and watched the temperature climb to 80 degrees on coreTemp. I had my finger on the heatsink the whole time and while it did become quite warm it was nowhere near uncomfortable and if i have to guess I would reckon it was about 30-40 degress. Surely if the cpu was actually at 80 degress it would have melted?

PPS - I dont know if this is relevant but when I switch on the computer for the first time today I went straight into the bios and watched the temperature readings. They started out at 40 degrees and over the course of about 30 seconds they slowly climbed up to 50 degrees and stayed there. I would have thought that the cpu would start out at the ambient case temperature (25 degrees) and then climb to idle temperature, so perhaps this is an idication that the temperature sesnor is faulty?

Below is a screenshot of coretemp and smartguardian with the cpu at IDLE.

http://img100.imageshack.us/my.php?image=22414695st0.jpg - realise the negative voltage lines are off, but from what I've read they dont really matter and shouldnt have an effect?

Hello,

What was the idle and load temps with this cooler on your 3500+ CPU?

And at what setting (High RPM or low RPM).

A few minutes ago I went ahead and reinstalled the old cpu, the bios was giving it at about 38 degrees at idle and from what I can remember it never went over 50 degrees at load.

Btw I tried resetting the cmos and it had no effect.

How are you applying the thermal paste? Try putting a little dot in the center rather than spreading it, might help if the IHS is concave. If your temps are still high after applying the TIM the way I said, pull the HS up and look at the base, see if the TIM squished out evenly or if it's just a small round spot in the center. If it's like that it means that the IHS and HS aren't making good contact, a lapping might be in order, or a new HS.

How much voltage are you feeding the CPU (what you set in BIOS, not what some app tels you) and what are ambient temps and what kind of case cooling do you have?

I think it is the heatsink.

The temps on your old cpu are worse than what I got with an artic cooling silencer 64. (That has no heat pipes). My CPU at the time was a Winchester 3000+ OC to 2.25Ghz.

The winchester core load wattage is roughly half that of your Dual core CPU.

Do you have another heatsink to use, one that is certified for the X2 4200+?