RIAA: ripping your own cd's to mp3's = STEALING!

Angry_Games

yeah, check it!

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071...authorized.html

Those MP3 and AAC files that you've ripped from your CD collection are still "unauthorized copies" in the eyes of the recording industry. In a brief filed late last week, the RIAA said that the MP3 files on a PC owned by a file-sharing defendant who had admitted to ripping them himself were "unauthorized copies."

Atlantic v. Howell is a bit unusual because the defendants, husband and wife Jeffrey and Pamela Howell, are defending themselves against the recording industry's lawsuit without the benefit of a lawyer. They were sued by the RIAA in August 2006 after an investigator from SafeNet discovered evidence of file-sharing over the KaZaA network.

The Howells have denied any copyright infringement on their part. In their response to the RIAA's lawsuit, they said that the MP3 files on their PC are and "always have been" for private use. "The files in question are for transfer to portable devices, that is legal for 'fair use,'" reads their response.

After several years of litigation and nearly 30,000 lawsuits, making a copy of a CD you bought for your own personal usage is still a concept that the recording industry is apparently uncomfortable with. During the Jammie Thomas trial this fall, the head of litigation from Sony BMG testified that she believed that ripping your own CDs is stealing.

When asked by the RIAA's lead counsel whether it was wrong for consumers to make copies of CDs they have purchased, Jennifer Pariser replied in the negative. "When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song," said Pariser. Making "a copy" of a song you own is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," according to Pariser.

At least the recording industry is consistent. Last year, during the triennial review of the DMCA by the US Copyright Office, the record labels made the case that although consumers could freely and easily make copies of music on CDs, doing so is not explicitly authorized by the labels. Since they have not expressly authorized copying—even for the purposes of making backups—the ability to make copies should not be mistaken for fair use.

Based on the filing in Atlantic v. Howell and Pariser's testimony, a lot of us have a bunch of "unauthorized" and "stolen" music on our hard drives—music that we've purchased ourselves. The recording industry may finally be making some serious strides to win consumers over by removing the shackles of DRM, but its continued insinuations that its customers are thieves threatens to disperse any build-up of goodwill among its customers.

looks like I'm a terrible thief!!!

I hope EVERYONE at the RIAA gets the absolute worst kind of ebola+cancer-of-the-testicles+cancer-of-the-anus.

Merry Xmas dummies (RIAA, not you guys)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest r3d c0m3t

This is quite stupid. Let me see if I understand this - If I brought a music CD with my own hard-earned money and decided to copy it from that disc onto my hard drive that's considering stealing? If that's the logic, wouldn't buying the CD itself be considered stealing (sarcasm)....

I wonder if the RIAA expects this to help the situation by deeming these actions illegal and of thievery?

I too am a terrible thief, but I was never aware of sharing (what has become your OWN property) music from a CD could be considered stealing.

So I guess this also means when an assistant on the sessions makes a copy of the masters to send to the label and producer, thats stealing too? But then again the music hasn't been released yet, so is it considered a leak? The RIAA are the real thieves.

yep....

if they pass that....I'll be a thief also....I figure I bought it...I own it so If I rip them all to my PC I still own it....

but non the less I have over 200 CDs ripped to my PC....I did it for the pure fact I didnt like lugging around 3 cases of CDs just to keep switching them...

So what would be the difference in buying the cd and ripping it to your PC than buying it from a Download site and not getting the case???

you're still paying for it...

Just think, there's a high probability that RIAA employees themselves are making backup copies of their personal CDs and/or getting them from P2P clients.

All I say is:

Hey there Mr. RIAA man

Merry ****ing Christmas

Guest r3d c0m3t
how do you get it to your mp3 player?

wtf is wrong with these people.

I hadn't even thought of that -clearly logical- question.

I guess Apple/Microsoft/Samsung, etc influence illegal use of music, huh?

OMFG I am totally writing to the RIAA and telling them that Apple and Creative and Microsoft and Sansha etc are all culprits who have actually encouraged citizens to rip music illegally from legally bought retail cd's so they can transfer them to their favorite personal listening device and other computers throughout the house or your laptop to enjoy.

Holy xxxx man, I'm gonna get a HUGE reward for alerting them to this!

OMFG I am totally writing to the RIAA and telling them that Apple and Creative and Microsoft and Sansha etc are all culprits who have actually encouraged citizens to rip music illegally from legally bought retail cd's so they can transfer them to their favorite personal listening device and other computers throughout the house or your laptop to enjoy.

Holy xxxx man, I'm gonna get a HUGE reward for alerting them to this!

I hope you get a TON of money man. :D

What about a down loaded mp3? Can you tell the difference from a ripped mp3 versa a downloaded one?

I hopefully have been good this year and have asked Santa for a PSP for such mp3. Will my downloaded of mp3 from online stores be construed as a crime if the files a nestled with ripped file from the past?