working:

s478 Pentium4 Prescott 3Ghz

eVGA FX5200 128MB AGP

Seagate 7200.7 80GB IDE

Pioneer DVR-104WB DVD-RW

eVGA 7300LE 128MB PCI-E

25' pre-made Cat5e

non-working or semi-busted:

Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP (supa-bad checkerboarding)

Fortron Source (FSP) 300w ATX psu (won't power on at all)

Asus P4S-800 or something (SiS 800FSB chipset, powers on but nothing but one long steady beep after another)

Ok so anyway, once I saw that the cpu in the Asus board was a 3.0Ghz Pentium4, I was excited. The Asus P4 board is as described, so I broke out the last Lanparty 865PE board, and plugged in that Prescott. Got into bios and hit Load Optimized and went to save & exit, and it wouldn't actually do anything after the red box comes up asking if you want to save and exit. Hitting restart would boot it again, and the bios changes took effect, but no matter what, it would freeze up when I hit Save & Exit (any combination of F10, manual s&e etc).

So I thought hrmm...ok, I'll flash the bios to the latest just to be sure that Prescott is properly supported. No matter what, the floppy would give I/O error (even though that disk and floppy drive would boot in other machines). I used a second floppy with JUST the win98 boot files and it did boot, then I stuck in the flasher floppy and it locked up before any flashing took place.

So I got mad and grabbed my P4 Engineering Sample 3.4Ghz Northwood, which has always worked in that board (used to be my server!). Now all the sudden I get all 4 LED's lit up and nothing else. Cleared cmos all that ., nothing.

Hrmm...so go and put the Prescott back in because at least it would boot, and again, 4 LED's...typical for DFI boards no doubt as I well know =/.

Sooooo....now I'm down 2x 478 boards so do any of you cholos have an old 478 board laying around (preferrably one that supports a Prescott, but not necessary as the 3.4Ghz ES Northwood has unlocked multipliers, assuming the board allows fooling with it).

Also, does anyone have any old . 2x512 DDR1? Doesn't have to be anything special at all, just DDR 400...can be value, mis-matched sticks, whatever.

Let me know on either. I might have something to trade if you aren't in the giving mood lol, but neither of those items are worth much at all these days, which is why it's hard to freaking find one anywhere (should have never sold all my 478 boards off, but ., I only got 1 cpu left and it's a freaking ES 3.5 beast).

All right, thanks everyone!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I have an old Foxconn motherboard you could borrow.

I don't know much about it, other than it probably is an oem pull.

It does have an Intel chipset and SATA ports.

borrow, buy, or trade? Not really interested in borrowing because it's going into a machine for a really good friend.

Does the board support Prescott 478's?

borrow, buy, or trade? Not really interested in borrowing because it's going into a machine for a really good friend.

Does the board support Prescott 478's?

I better hold on to it, I almost have enough parts to build a rig (just need RAM).

I thought you just needed it for testing or something.