Newegg

justinal

well i just heard this my uncle tried to buy something from them and yep they ar echarging taxes in tennessee? anyone have a clue why? they charge taxes in the states where they have dis centers so does that mean tennessee is getting one now?

Newegg information has not been updated on their website, because it still says that any state other than California and New Jersey are tax-free purchases.

Taken from the FAQ on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/app/faq_payment.asp#6.5

What states must pay sales tax?

Orders shipping to California and New Jersey must be charged sales tax based on the county's rate. Newegg.com now operates business from locations in both CA and NJ to better service our customers across the United States.

Maybe:

- Your uncle's purchase is being mailed to an address to either one of these states

- Your uncle's billing address is to one of these states

- Your uncle was charged taxes by mistake

- You are correct and Newegg has a new distribution center in TN and that's not good for me <_<

Out of 48 states [50 - California - New Jersey], why did they have to pick TN! :angry:

If I can't find a better online store than Newegg, I'll have to bite the bullet and pay the 9.25% :angry:

if its a distribution can you go their and buy them or is it just for shipping things around the country?

Not sure about newegg, but most distro centers are not set up for retail sales.

Whole different set of laws that the company would have to follow..... and pay lots of insurance to cover the eventuality of the dork who walks in the door, trips and falls and then sues the company, etc. etc...

either way if it si distro, probably no retail

If you look at the "Important Shipping Instructions" when you view your cart, you'l' see the first line says this:

All orders shipped within CA, TN and NJ will be charged Sales Tax.

My guess is they have a distrubution center in TN now.

either that or the state legislator passed a law saying that all online stores will be taxed. I know some states are thinking about passing this law because loss of $$

Let me say that I shop online ALL the time... and newegg is the 1st I've seen to charge sales tax.

Let me say that I shop online ALL the time... and newegg is the 1st I've seen to charge sales tax.

I'm fine with it.....Like one guy said, I'll bite the bullet and pay the tax....still cheaper than most other places, and i have not had a SINGLE problem with newegg. I'd pay that much in taxes just for piece of mind.

Also, I live in CA, so I get my items the next day if I order before noon.

B)

Ive seen tons of stores charge sales tax online. I believe if an online store has a distribution center or a retail shop within the state you are ordering from, you must pay sales tax on that item. i.e. the exact reason i dont order from places like best buy.com and walmart.com etc.. etc...