Sign in to follow this  
old_geekster

Q: Are the new AM2 CPU's as fast as the 939's?

The reason I am asking this question is, I have a Slot 939, 4800+ (see sig). It runs at 2.4 GHz. I paid $632 for it in May, 2006. Now, I could buy an AM2 CPU with more speed for a third of the money.

What's up with this situation?:confused:

What's up with this situation?:confused:

It's the only way for AMD to stay competitive, mostly.

The standard AM2 chips are comparable to their 939 counterparts, there is very little difference clock-for-clock.

Just from what I'm reading and hearing, dual core enable you to do more multi-tasking kinds of computing more effectivly since one core can be devoted to one chore and one to the other chore(s). Not sure if it does much for gaming. Maybe if the games that use utilise the multi threading tek that the new dual-quad core cpu's (especially intel) offers, the games perrformance will benifit.

Like i hear that either bio-shock or crysis, (not sure which one), the demo does not untilise this tek, but the final game product will. This is just what i heard, so don't take it as fact just yet. I haven't had time time to look into it, as it doesn't affect me...yet. (Jaz! How selfish!)

I have read some in depth testing that a very experienced person did and posted by setting his quad core affinitiy to one core and it was the same as all 4 cores...(beta), and he posted screenies of his results. They were all the same.

The CPUs are basically the same....the only speed benefit is in the ddr2 bandwidth over the ddr....

Now if you have a 4800/939 I would by all means use it...

You really dont get all the performance out of AM2 people think...they only truly support ddr2-667 so anything more isnt a gain of any sort...I have tested this on every AM2 CPU I have and I get no difference from 667 to 800 mhz ram speed...

The only reason to switch is to go with a cheap build....but then again a simple C2D would whip all over it...that being said I still have 5 AM2 rigs here...

I would use that 4800 until you cant hold out any longer before upgrading...just no reason to...;)

Thanks guys. I am not planning to upgrade anytime soon. However, I keep seeing these lower prices on AM2 CPU's and was simply curious. I have my 4800+ OC'd to 2.82 at 1.425V. It stays well under 50C. I like how it performs for now.

only real difference for me was vcore and temps...With the Brisbane CPUs I can run 2800mhz at 1.25v and I get 34c loaded....big difference over my 939 CPU but as for performance in real world....nothing you can see...;)

Guest Lavell

I'm so glad this is being discussed. I was considering building an AM2 rig just to compare the performance to my Socket 939 rigs.

Dr. Bowtie, if what you say is true, then I will follow your advice as well and not spend the money on upgrading. My rigs are running fine without any issues. If there is little performance gains between Socket 939 and AM2, then I'll hold on to my money.

While I really don't think it's much of an upgrade. It's a pretty good replacement. The sticks are getting bigger and cheaper. Processors are certainly cheaper.