Palomino, Thoroughbred, And Barton Cores

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I mean is good luck finding anybody in the forums who has a C3, regardless of core. I can only recall seeing one person who had one. For a while, though, I remember TigerDirect had lots of bundles and barebones kits with them...that was when they were still socket 370, though. I was always tempted to get one and see what it could do. And the fact that you could passively cool them was neat too.

Up until a few years ago I had a 386 machine with 4 megs of ram. Good times. My friend has a bunch of pentium 120 compaq laptops...they're slow as heck. We also have some old compaq desktop with a pentium 100 and COAST in it. No Cd-rom drive, may I add.

The oldest thing that I have kicking around is a Cyrix 6x86MX 150 (PR200+). I could fry eggs on that thing if I wanted to, they ran that hot!

At shool we run compaqs that have p1 100 mhz cpus. Talk about bad only one in the enitire lab has a working cdrom and they have 2mb onboard video that displays 800x600 in 16bit color if u try to go to 24 bit color it lowers the res.

Barton not only added the larger cache size, it also was the first and only chip to support 166 and 200mhz fsb (333 and 400 if you're one of those folks too dumb to actually read the fsb and listen to the AMD version of it).

My thoroughbred 2600+ has a 166MHz bus (333MHz)

I had a Pentium 60MHz (ceramic, no heatsink) with 64MB of EDO RAM until March 2003. It was so slow, I had trouble running SimCity on it. It had Windows 98, and all it could do was run Internet Explorer 5.0

Edited by Paranoid600

I have a 50MHz i486 DX2, It was my first comp and to my recolection ran win 95 quite well which supprises me when I think of it.

I remember playing Wolfstein 3d and quake on it with 4 mb of onboard video ram and i think 8MB RAM, which was amazing for its time, in contrast my cely only had 4mb onboard video ram and it was made like 6 years later :O