Sign in to follow this  
Hemidare

Best cooler for naked opty?

I had to put some washers between the little "nipple" things and the metal clip to make up that gap. I can't see how you'd be making good contact with the A64 Freezer Pro on a naked core otherwise. There was definitely a gap in my case without those 3 washers on each side.

I had to put some washers between the little "nipple" things and the metal clip to make up that gap. I can't see how you'd be making good contact with the A64 Freezer Pro on a naked core otherwise. There was definitely a gap in my case without those 3 washers on each side.

Perhaps there was a production change in the mount.

My Freezer Pro is like a year and a half old. They may have modified the clip somewhere along the way.

All I can say is it fits nice and snug, with no movement whatsoever.

I must agree with Westmassguy.

I haven't had any problems at all using the AC 64 Pro.

Very tight fit.

Interesting... I know I had a gap because, at first, I actually tried to bend the clip a bit to make up for it. It busted and I had to order a replacement from AC's ebay store. That's when the washer idea came to me in a vision! :)

This Scythe Ninja on here now has some serious pressure going down on that CPU IHS so I bet it would work ok for a naked core, btw.

I've given up on removing IHSs after killing my old Opty 165 a year ago. I just resurrected this rig a few days ago with a cheapo $55 3800+ X2. Ironically it overclocks better than my old 165 and a friend's. I can do 2.6GHz stock volts with this thing. Of course, Opty 165 started at lower voltage. But even considering that, I never got the 165s stable at 2.7 GHz.

I just resurrected this rig a few days ago with a cheapo $55 3800+ X2. Ironically it overclocks better than my old 165 and a friend's. I can do 2.6GHz stock volts with this thing. Of course, Opty 165 started at lower voltage. But even considering that, I never got the 165s stable at 2.7 GHz.

I hear you, mine doesnt want to do 2.7Ghz either, but runs 2.4 on 1.3V stable 24/7.

As for the OP I just delided my opty recently(had to clean some nasty dust bunnies out anyway) and used the xp-90 that I had. I did an old trick that I read about on here long time ago.This was to unscrew the base that the hs clips on, clip it on to that and place it down and get the screws started then evenly tighten each side .5-1 turn at a time, worked great w/o issues.

Now taking the IHS off was a little tricky, I even dug into the pcb a little(whatever its called the board) and could see some metal:eek2:, stuck a small peice of tape there on that corner and away I went.

I just ordered the OCZ Vanquisher from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...cz%2bvanquisher It's relatively new on the markey but with a stacker design that has proven itself with other manufacturers. Combined with the Tuniq X2 and my Antec 900 case, I bet it will get my CPU to 2800 stable with some good temps to boot. My CPU is not naked, so I will not be able to tell you how well it seats, but I will be sure to post the temp differences.

That cooler looks very reminiscent of Freezer 7 and Freezer 64. I wonder who really makes it. OCZ has their own version of Scythe's Ninja too.

I guess I ordered the Vendetta instead of the vanquisher. Either way, I immediately saw a drop of 4C at idle and 7C load without burn in of the Tuniq X2. I believe it should drop some more after the Tuniq burns in. The HS fits very snugly against the lid, but I couldnt say for sure about a naked one. Good luck with your project.