How would I go about learning a new language?

njswift10141980

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing wrong with using a "program" vs. learning from a native speaker is that you don't get exposed to the vernacular of the language.

Try speaking "Parisian" French to a Quebecois or a true Cajun in Louisiana, and see how far you'll get! Same thing with "Mexican" Spanish vs. a native of Columbia or Puerto Rico.

The localised dialects always get you. I've lived in the UK all my life but there are regions where I will never ever understand what the hell is being said, even though they are supposedly speaking english. You can read their newspaper but speaking on the street you're basically a foreigner.

Guest Blooz1

Wow, that's a riot, Suedenim!

Like the gypsies in "Snatch", speaking "pikey". Or all the Scots whackos in "Trainspotting"!

When I moved here I knew very little English, mostly what I learned from MTV and the bit we were taugth in school. I moved here by myself so I had nobody to speak German to. I didn't consider myself as speaking fluent English until I actually started thinking in English. I see people who have been here two or three times as long as me and still don't speak proper English, and that's because when they go home they speak their native language. The only way to learn a language properly is to force yourself to learn it.