Sign in to follow this  
speedy11309

[Resolved] pc wont boot

ok so i restarted my comp last nite, and now it wont boot. i keep rebooting and it either gets to the bios screen where it detects my hdd and optical drives, then just sits there. it doesnt actually detect anything, just sits there. then other times, which its done the last 15 times ive restarted, it gets to having 1 diagnostic led lit, and then the mobo beeps 1 long beep, followed by 3 real quick beeps. im not sure what to do. anyone have any suggestions? i recently got a bfg 8800gt to replace my 6800gt, and its been running fine. just restarting it last nite kinda killed it i guess.

oh and i tried clearing the cmos, let it sit with the jumper in the clear position and the battery out for about 30 minutes last nite, that did nothing. ive also tried unplugging each drive and just running them one at a time, still doesnt boot. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you get into the BIOS?

have you checked if the BIOS is detecting all the drives and that the boot priority is set correctly?

i havnt tried the 6800gt yet, im not sure why that would do it, but i do think it has something to do with my graphics card. this kinda sucks because im not going to buy any new parts till after christmas because i just got a Q6600 and this 8800gt. so i still need to get a new mobo, ram, and possibly a new psu. so i really dont want to be without everything for like a month.

Sounding a lot like the PSU bit the dust.

DFI NF4 boards are quite power-hungry and require a min 480W PSU; likely adding the 8800GT was too much stress on it.

I agree that the 485 watt isn't enough. Plus Enermax PSU's were having quite a few issues over these last 2 years, various reviews showed that they weren't outputting anywhere close to their rated wattage and amperage. I would of recommended at least 520-550 before, now that you have the 8800GT I'd say 600 to future proof yourself, depending on how many various other components you have (HDD's, opticals, fans, etc.)

i already have myself a quad core intel, Q6600. im going to be buying myself 4gb's of ram after christmas along with a new motherboard. and if it turns out to be my power supply, a new power supply as well. im going to swap in my old 6800gt tonite and see if that works.

ok so i came home today and plopped in the 6800gt with all 3 harddrives plugged in (i need to edit my sig cause the 320gb is not dead). and it worked. got into my bios and everything, changed the settings to the way they needed to be set and then went into windows. im currently in windows and all of my harddrives are recognized and my external drive is connected and im currently transferring data over to it just so if i do have to format, i have stuff backed up. i really dont think i will have to format tho. i'm going to let all my data transfer tonight while i sleep, its about 300gb's worth of stuff over usb so it will take awhile. when i get back from work tomorrow, ill try putting the 8800gt back in and see what that does, although i assume it just wont start again.

so are you guys thinking that this is definitely my power supply? thats what im thinking it is just because the harddrive wasnt being recognized before. i really dont think that my video card would affect my harddrive like that. my video card was what i originally though was the problem, but now i definitely think its the psu.

so now im obviously looking at getting a new psu. what are your thoughts on this psu? i'm going for this much power just so i dont run into this same problem anytime soon. i remember hearing that silverstone is a pretty good company, hence why i picked this one. its also capable of sli, which im considering doing as well. only question i have, that its a 24 pin connector, are the motherboards for intel's new processors all 24 pin connectors? i think they are but i just dont wanna buy the wrong product. lol. thanks for all the help so far.

yep sounds like your current PSU doesn't have enough power to drive the 8800GT along with the rest of your hardware.

Silverstone seems to make pretty decent PSUs; currently running one of their 1KW units.

Nearly all current motherboards use a 24-pin power connector and the connectors on the power supplies are usually 20+4 pin to offer backwards compatibility with older motherboards.

well, i came home from work today and popped in my 8800gt. and needless to say, my computer started up just fine. im on it right now. it even sees all my harddrives. im still convinced that this psu doesnt have enough juice for this rig, let alone the rig im going to be building with the quad core and 4gbs of ram. im just glad this stupid thing is working. thanks for all the help.