Sign in to follow this  
jid1877

Christmas List

I agree in some ways with what angry is saying, but there are exceptions to the rule. Some games are nicely multithreaded. You will see a noticeable increase in performance from a title such as UT3 when running a quad over the same speed dual. Also cod4 uses all 4 cores very nicely but due to a lack of demo playback there is no fair way to test this.

With regards to graphics, if you want to run that monitor at max resolution in modern games you will need that extra 256mb of Vram on the 512.

actually ANY DDR2-800 will give you plenty of headroom when it comes to overclocking as you'll drop down to a 667 divider and have more than enough headroom to walk it back up to 800...

No reason to move to a Quad core if you aren't a video editor or such.

No reason to move beyond those $50 RAMs either...

Good choices...and you honestly won't ever need to overclock. I have an E6600 that is 2.4Ghz stock, and an E6400 that is 2.13Ghz stock, and I've stopped overclocking them...absolutely no need, especially when it comes to gaming these days...it adds almost zero to your gaming performance (since everything is all about the video card for 3d gaming now).

Be careful about what advice you take to heart ;)

Depends what you play really. I used to get 80+ fps (with all the goodies turn on and high) in TF2 on my OCed E6300 with my 8800GTS. But when my mobo died and threw my 8800GTS into my S939 with a 4600+ X2, my fps dropped kind of drastically (down to 30s from 80s) and I can't used AA/AF anymore. Also dropped texture filtering in driver software from Quality to High Performance and the game still gets a bit bouncy with the fps. But to counter my own argument, Bioshock runs the same on both setups with the same video card :P

Be careful about what advice you take to heart ;)
I won't, I have made my final choises and will not be changing them unless money is a issue in ether direction. The only problem I see right now is NewEgg is out of stock on the SAPPHIRE's, which really isn't a problem considering there is 3 other brands with the same spec's for the same price.

I just like pimping the Quads, I'm not a strict video editor either but everybody nowadays gives things like DVD shrink a go backing up their DVDs. I can do it in 10 mins with the quad as apposed to 30 mins with a single core 3700. When it comes to spending money I'm tighter than a ducks butt, but with getting a Quad,8800 and good RAM I feel like over the next few years I have saved my self quite a bit of money on upgrades. I was going to get a low end C2D setup like the E4300, Giga S3, X1900Gt and 2 gigs of the NQ's. Which still would have blown my old rig out of the water but I know deep down I would have wanted to upgrade the CPU, GPU and Mobo the very next year.

My only advice is buy good now so you don't have to buy better later.

Ok guys, my wife messed up and bought the wrong CPU. She got me the

E6550 instead of the E6750 like I wanted. Why she didn't go from my wish list, I don't know.

Q. What am I going to loose and is it a big deal?

She also got me: HIS Hightech H385Q512NP Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ 3 Turbo Video Card - Retail

Instead of the

SAPPHIRE 100226L Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported

because they were out of stock. Yes, I was able to get her to upgrade to the 512MB version.

One last Question. Since I only have a 4-pin ATX12V connector instead of a 8-pin EPS12V connector, will this converter work alright? The manual for the motherboard says I can just us the 4-pin ATX12V connector.

looks like your gonna have one awesome pc to play with in ten days time congrats on that.

Processors well I wouldn't be to worried you have only lost 0.3 GHz, cache fsb and such like are the same between those processors.

Graphics cards well im presuming there all using reference coolers at the moment, so the cards should be identical apart from the stickers!

I have Intel Q6600 and Intel E6750 listed on deal alert at slickdeals, so if a good price comes up, I might just drop the coin. My current rig is still solid, but it is getting up there in years.

Well, everything came in on Wed exept the video card which came in Fri. Had everything up and running (exept for vid card) on wed with no problems. Friday when the vid came in, I installed Win XP. Every thing ran fine for about the first hour, then started loosing vid signal and the screen would go blank. Reinstalled on of the old vids, then I started getting mouse lag and would have to double, triple click everything. So on Sat, I spent the day reinstalling windows about 6 times (very pissed at this time) with all the same results. I installed the new vid in my old rig and ran it for about half a day with no problems. I repartition my hd and reinstalled Win XP late last night and figured out that one of the drivers for the motherboard was messing with the mouse. Reinstalled Vista and been running stable for most of today. I reinstalled the new vid card this morning with the PCIe Y power adaptor instead of the one off of the power supply and have had no problems yet. The system been running stable for several hours now. I need to get some AS5 and redo the hs on the cpu and vid card.

Want to start doing some overclocking but not sure about the stock HS. Temps have been stable at 18c idle and up to 30c at full load so far. The vid has been running at 36c idle and up to 72c at full load.

Now I need to find some one to make me a another custom sig.

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6550 - Retail

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

HIS Hightech H385Q512NP Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ 3 Turbo Video Card - Retail