Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit

Praz

Microsoft has released a Service Pack blocking utility for users of Windows Server 2003, XP and Vista. It will prevent the soon to be released Service Packs from being installed if Automatic Update is enabled. Grab it if you have a need.

Windows Service Pack Blocker Tool Kit

Typically, I don't rush out and install a SP right when it comes out. It's like buying an OS right when it comes out. I give it awhile until all the bugs are found and fixed initially. Also, as a system admin, I sure as hell don't want all my workstations trying to auto update to the latest SP. I'd much rather do it myself.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

many IT people wouldnt want auto updates with out their approval / permission

but its kind of pointless to have this block tool when Vista SP1 will be a good thing (performance) and XP SP3 (more performance)...so i dont really see the point to put this tool out there...but hey, its MS

Guest SuppA-SnipA
Typically, I don't rush out and install a SP right when it comes out. It's like buying an OS right when it comes out. I give it awhile until all the bugs are found and fixed initially. Also, as a system admin, I sure as hell don't want all my workstations trying to auto update to the latest SP. I'd much rather do it myself.

so you'd rather go to lets say, 20 workstations, by yourself, and update off a flash drive? or cd? this is why auto update was made, for its automaticness, but it must be a personal preference, or a company rule

How come you would want to block the SP from your machine?

because all Service Packs break all your software for the most part, and it takes 30-90 days for software developers to patch their software to make it work again, as well as 30-90 days for Microsoft to fix any issues within their SP release.

so you'd rather go to lets say, 20 workstations, by yourself, and update off a flash drive? or cd? this is why auto update was made, for its automaticness, but it must be a personal preference, or a company rule

as an admin for a business or any such role, you NEVER want auto-update to install service packs. NEVER. It's the fastest way to get fired from your job or lose customers. (been there, done that, on both sides of the coin)

really....i never knew that, but how come? program compatibility? or the business terms?

|

|

|

V

because all Service Packs break all your software for the most part, and it takes 30-90 days for software developers to patch their software to make it work again, as well as 30-90 days for Microsoft to fix any issues within their SP release.

ie: I can't even remember all the times I've been called up because some jackass IT monkey decided to upgrade all the computers with a Service Pack and it breaks the database, or it breaks the client software, etc...and then you got 20+ (sometimes 200+) computers that don't work and a server that don't work and have you ever tried to roll back a Service Pack???

Experience is ALWAYS better than reading the internets lol.

If I let the SP install automatically there is a good chance the person using the computer will shut it down or restart it right in the middle which leaves a good chance that the OS is now hosed. I've got 600+ workstations to manage so I never install software by hand. I use scripts or software tools to deploy. When I think the SP is ready to be deployed I'll most likely do it on a Friday and have everyone leave their machines on after work so I can just run a script to push the update out. I have a WSUS server setup but I'd rather push it out when I want to...I let WSUS deal with the normal updates.