Which Temp ???

Guest InFeKtioN_merged

Guest InFeKtioN

I have a question about which temps I should go by !

On some Apps that provide temps for Dual Core and/or Quad Core Processors, show three temps ....

CPU.............= 36c

Core #1........= 46c

Core #2........= 54c

I'll use Everest for example .....

Looking @ the pic provided and keeping in mind when I say "limits/range" I am referring to my personal limits/range ....

The CPU temp falls well within my temp range ...

Core #1 also is acceptable ...

But Core #2 is pushing it a bit more than I would like...

So what temps do I go by ?

Core temps ? or

CPU temp ?

temps01in7.th.png

This is a RIG I am building for someone and I dont want to have to worry about temps down the road...

And once I put it in a case, it has potential to even get warmer. As may the ambient temp for where ever they will park it !

Note; The Temps are close to the same if I run two instances of Prime instead of Orthos ..... FYI

I am using a TT Big Typhoon ....

CPU - read by Off die Thermal Diode - keep at less than 50

CoreTemps - read by DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor) - keep at less than 60

Be aware that the DTS is not "officially" supported on 939s.

Guest InFeKtioN

Thanks Carl ... that good Info !

What do you mean "not supported" ? by apps the read temps like everest or core temp or others ?

Or something else ?

Also ..... is it the same for C2D ? or is that ok ?

BTW .... Good Luck this week !

• 1 month later...

bah, my x2 3800+ (2.7ghz) breaks those temp limits daily. My CPU goes up to 60, and core 2 goes up to 69. (70 is my back-away point).

It's been like this 24/7 for a year. I have gamed for 2-3 days straight, no problems.

Don't trust the software readouts. The bios temp is the only one I ever really trust. Other than that, as long as it doesnt crash, does it really matter? People tell me my cpu will not last more than 4 years at high temps. Good god if I'm still on S939 by next week - please shoot me, let alone 3 more years, lol

If you have some uber-expensive CPU made of gold that you will somehow not upgrade for 10 years then by all means, try to keep it below 50 degrees. If you have a normal, common cpu, then freg man just clock it till it crashes! Prime95 will be your temp readout, when the letters go red, its too damn hot.