Project: Cm 690 Water Cooled - Worklog (pics, Pics, And More Pics)

"I like to watch" :D

Just some awesome pics in this thread.

Very very impressive work and attention to detail.

(I loved the shot of MNPCTech "U"-Channel vs Frozen CPU "C"-Channel molding.)

Painting and cutting looked flawless.

Need more pics.

Have someone take a pic of yer badself with you next to the case.

We bow to your uber nerdiness.:)

Excellent Mod

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SuppA-SnipA
The P35-T2R runs my hardware perfectly. OCing it is a snap; CPU and Memory.... its comes with a lot of tweaking options. A good PSU is a must! It has turned into my main rig, replacing my old dfi nf4 expert. Very pleased with it :D

just like any dfi mobo :) psu wise

Flat black means the paint is not shiney (not glossy). The more sanding and the more coats you do, the smoother the finish should be. I would venture to say you should do at least five coats on each part, but you are going to have to see what works best for your situation. I think for a mi-tower case you should probably use most of two cans of quality spray paint.

Thanks. Am looking for Matt but smooth to touch look. Don't like the glossy look. Thanks for the advice. :)

mknwatt, :) Thank you very much for taking the time to advice me. Much appreciated. Now i have a better understanding. I will check out the website for more understanding

Thanks Bro.

btw, for a first timer, you did one hell of a job. ;)

Thanks nez. I’m very new to painting cases, this being my first. I read a few guides and posts on users experiences in various forums. themodnation-forums.com is full of info (t ski linked to it also).

The paint used on this case was Rustoleum Painter’s Touch (gray primer and flat black). There's better paint, I just found this paint easy to use.....it worked just fine ;)

Before painting, I sanded the case with fine steel wool, getting the shine off but leaving the powder coat. Steel wool allowed me to reach the tight corners but left me with a big pile of dust. Wet sanding will eliminate the dust, but is done with special wet sanding paper.

I blew the case off with compress air, washed with a little soap and water, and let it dry or compressed air dried.

I applied the first coat of Rustoleum gray primer. Let it dry for 40 minutes and recoated…..touching up the light spots. I let it dry for 24 hours and repeated the sanding and cleaning process as stated above ^^^^. I recoated with gray primer, sanded, and cleaned. Then I started with the flat black paint…..repeating the same steps of sanding, cleaning, painting, drying......doing two full coats with 40 min touch-ups in between coats. I used 7 cans of spray paint (4 gray primer and 3 flat black)

Spray paint will create a paint-dust that settles when drying (over spray?) I don’t know the correct term. I also had this; you called it a rough charcoal look. Sanding and cleaning was the right move and is very importance to achieve a smooth constant texture. :D

More Progress:

I cut a new acrylic piece with a simple design cut out.

1001711re4.jpg

1001719ud7.jpg

1001721yd4.jpg

The mesh needs a fresh coat of flat black.

1001809bz1.jpg

The mesh painted with the acrylic behind it. (front and back)

1001855nz8.jpg

1001866za2.jpg

Installed cover inside case.

1001904co3.jpg

1001888vz0.jpg

UV lights ON

1001951kt3.jpg

1001966ww2.jpg

Guest r3d c0m3t

I think an organized abduction, er, public viewing is in order. :shake:

Nice work!

More Progress:

I put together a Y-floppy cable.

2 uv green floppy connector housings, female floppy power pins, and 22AWG wire (red, black, and green)

1002029iu4.jpg

Used a needle nose to crimp the wire, then soldered the connections. There must be a better crimping tool, making a more secure connection (I choose to solder). The picture only shows one part crimped with no solder (I would crimp the back before I would solder).

1002047dy1.jpg

Here's one end complete and another end; ready to be put together.

1002113fc5.jpg

Getting ready to make the male molex pin connections. I put the 1/8" (3 mm) sleeving and 3/8" (9 mm) heat shrink on before tying the wires ;)

1002154sm9.jpg

Floppy power ends tied together and soldered to a molex pin.

1002175yl0.jpg

Finish cable and installled :D

1002198zo6.jpg

1002214dv5.jpg

UV lights ON

1002236ce7.jpg