Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

radodrill

Just had the first real snowfall of the winter here last night :D We did have some flurries the past few days but no accumulation; but throughout the night we had ~10cm accumulation :)

We haven't had much snow here in WV over the past years let alone a white Christmas; so I'm hopeful that this year may be different :angel:

The 3 biggest wastes of time for men:

1.) Mowing lawns

2.) Raking leaves

3.) Shovelling snow

We only got the same snow/ice combo Anospa talked about - that's enough for me!

I love snow. When it snows, the temperature is almost 'warm' as it can't be too cold nor too warm, or you get nothing or rain lol.

It's that humidity that makes it bearable. Today I had to go to Wal-Mart (EVIL EMPIRE) and buy a humidifier. It's so dry here in Idaho (at or less than 10% relative humidity usually) and we've had the furnace up to 76F and it's STILL cold in the house in a sense.

It's a brand new house with all the right insulation and double-paned nitrogen-filled thermal windows blah blah blah, and in the summer, the A/C keeps it nice and cool with the unit at 78F. Never need to turn it below this, and the A/C kicks on only occasionally.

But there's no reason we should have to keep cranking the heat higher and higher, and the dang thing kicking on too often. I remembered when we lived up in Boise we had a humidifier when we got sick and I remember how I started leaving it on low most of the day, and eventually we had to leave the furnace at 70F (trust me, this house had ZERO insulation, thin windows that the wind seemed to blow through, crappy framework around the windows you could feel the air coming in, no weatherstripping at all....grrrrr).

We always made sure it never gets too humid, as that is bad. In the last couple of weeks, on the days it would rain or snow, we noticed the house getting a lot warmer than normal without us touching the thermostat. The next day would be sunny (but still 40's cold eh) and dry, and the house seemed like it was trying to freeze us out =(

I'm sure one of you thermodynamics engineers types will tell me that moisture helps hold heat in the air better blah blah blah, and I'm gonna tell you dammit I already knew that because I know how to google haha.

$25 for a humidifier = can help reduce the heating bill by probably 25%, possibly more.