Sign in to follow this  
Oceanborn

4x Bandwidth for 38xx Crossfire

Since these are relatively new video cards, I was wondering if anyone here tested the new 38xx series in crossfire in any mobo that has a 965p or P35 intel chipset that is "blessed" with a 16x/4x setup?

A lot of us have 965P or P35 setups so I was wondering, how much of a performance hit does the 4x interface bring, or if it's not even worth adding a second 38xx in crossfire

can't say about these new gpu's, but in my E6600 + 965 using crossfire X1900XT's, I really couldn't tell any difference between 16x-4x, 8x-8x, or 16x-16x (using ULI/ATI chipsets on Athlon64 systems for the latter two as well as the 8x-8x setup on the 975 chipset).

The only real difference I could tell was between the different system's cpu differences, which made zero difference in 3d games (all the games I played or still play utilize the gpu as there's really no difference regardless of which cpu you use). So again, I can't really see a COUPLE (not 4x which of course a 965 chipset doesn't have enough pci-e slots) of them being crippled by more than a percentage point or two, same as previous X1900 generation cards in crossfire.

However that is just a logical guess...I don't even know of anyone who has 2x of the new 38xx cards lol

I'm going to run my 8800GT through some benchmarks-its in my x8 slot as it blocks 2 of my sata ports in the top (x16) slot. I know of a pretty good average 3dmark score for my cpu/ram/gpu combo of around 9000 in an x16 slot, so I expect around there (probably lower due to vista but other than that). I will also benchmark Crysis. I feel that the ATI cards are probably ok in x8 slots and above (the x1900xt's were), but the 8800 series cards are probably hitting bandwidth limits (according to this, umm, unreliable but only source I could find, article: http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/03/27/pci...aling_analysis/).

However that is just a logical guess...I don't even know of anyone who has 2x of the new 38xx cards lol

I was gonna go for two 3850 in crossfire as the performance equals about an 8800GTX, but the bandwidth thing on my 4x slot kept me away from it, so I ended up with a 8800GT instead...lol

But you never know, I wanted to see if these new generation cards started to saturate the 4x slot to the point that it would degrade performance considerably. I guess we'll have to wait for a brave soul to have the cojones and money of course to buy and test two of those in a 4x/16x crossfire setup...