Sign in to follow this  
Guest tylerdurden_merged

BIOS does not detect all RAM

Guest tylerdurden

Umm, so my A8N32 SLI was giving me some trouble on a different matter, I decided to go back to my Ultra-D, but now my BIOS only detects 1 gig out of the 2 I have installed. I have four sticks, two Ballistix, two Corsair Xperts. If I take any two pair out, it detects the other pair, but it only detects the Corsair when I plug all of them in... what could be wrong:confused:

Guest tylerdurden
They are two different makes of rams, theres your problem. It is advisable to use the same make of sticks.

Umm well it worked just fine on my asus mobo, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't on DFI...

I should also mention:

I have the latest official BIOS (dated 06)

I have my RAM set up like this

Corsair

Crucial

Corsair

Crucial

with 3-4-4-12 2T 2.9V

Again, if I take the Corsair out, it shows 1gb of Crucial and boot, if I take Crucial out, it shows 1gb of Corsair and boots. If I use all 4 sticks, it detects 1gb of Corsair.

Another weird thing is that CPU-Z 2048MB under memory, yet doesn't display the Crucial memory under SPD, while Windows and BIOS only show 1gb.. this is madening

You have just proven that it will not work with the DFI mobo. I myself have had the Ultra D, SLI DR and Expert, now three of the Intel boards and they do not work with two different type of rams. Just a curiousity, did you run Memtest for stability when you say that the rams work on the Asus, I had that Asus mobo and all I got out of it is a week of headaches trying to make three different amd chips to work with it.

even IF you had perfectly matching ram sticks, the DFI board, depending on the quirks of the individual board, has problems running with all four slots populated, and certainly a potential huge problem if the sticks don't match.....

a search on the matter here @DIY should bring up mega hits, interesting reading...

laterzzzz....