Beginner Building My Own Pc

jdaniel

HI guys

I am new to the board and know nothing about overclocking, I suppose it means pushing the CPU and etc past its intended performance level ?? correct me if I am wrong, anyways I wanna build a PC for myself and I would like some advice etc.

I am looking at a Thermaltake case, most probably the Xaser III Super Tower Series V2000 or the top of the line mid towers which I think falls under the XaserIII as well.

As for heatsinks/fan I am looking to purchase one from thermaltake as well.

As for CPU I am thinking about P4 3mhz. And motherboard: ASUS P4C800E Deluxe.

As to what I would have on the comp, I would have a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW, floppy, and the usual graphics and sound cards.

So pls provide some opinions on that. And about the CPU, I like the fastest and the best although I guess I dunt REALLY need it, but I decided on the 3 instead of the 3.2 coz of the excessive price diff.

But if I can go lower but clock in at 3 consistently I wouldnt mind suggestions on how to do that.

Also what is thermal compound and what is it used for and its implications etc.

HI guys

I am new to the board and know nothing about overclocking, I suppose it means pushing the CPU and etc past its intended performance level ?? correct me if I am wrong, anyways I wanna build a PC for myself and I would like some advice etc.

I am looking at a Thermaltake case, most probably the Xaser III Super Tower Series V2000 or the top of the line mid towers which I think falls under the XaserIII as well.

As for heatsinks/fan I am looking to purchase one from thermaltake as well.

As for CPU I am thinking about P4 3mhz. And motherboard: ASUS P4C800E Deluxe.

As to what I would have on the comp, I would have a DVD-ROM and a CD-RW, floppy, and the usual graphics and sound cards.

So pls provide some opinions on that. And about the CPU, I like the fastest and the best although I guess I dunt REALLY need it, but I decided on the 3 instead of the 3.2 coz of the excessive price diff.

But if I can go lower but clock in at 3 consistently I wouldnt mind suggestions on how to do that.

Also what is thermal compound and what is it used for and its implications etc.

Okay well let me start off by saying hey and welcome to the forums. Yeah you pretty much hit the nail on the head on what ocing is. Its just pushing your components (CPU, GPU, RAM) farther than they were meant to go, like you said. OCing FAQ. Now lets get down to my suggestions.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Xasers style cases cause, frankly, I don't like the way they look. They do have there advantages with the tooless bays and screwless fan mounts, but hey whatever floats your boat when it comes to the case and what it looks like.

Next heatsinks and fans. Well, I have a Thermaltake Volcano 9 and it is keeping my CPU nice and cool. Although I've heard for almost the same price you can get a Thermalright SLK-900a heatsink and use the same Thermaltake Smart fan and keep it even cooler. Is sound a factor, because if its not a 92mm Vantec Tornado would go very nice on the SLK_900a. But if it is I would keep the Smartfan and use the thermal sensor on it.

You'll also come to find out that there is pretty much a lot more AMD people here than there is INTEL people. Me being one of them . So if I was you I wouldn't get the P4 or the P4C800E. I'd go with an AMD Athlon XP 2500+, barton core, and oc it to run just as fast as the P4 for $200 cheaper. That with a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe makes a nice combo.

As far as DVD-ROMs and CDRW drives go, I like my 52x24x52 CDRW drive and my 16x DVD-ROM. I can't really suggest a certian graphics card cause I don't know if you're on a budget or not. Although I'd go with an ATI Radeon, and not a Nvidia. Sound card wise I don't think you'll need one. Most people are happy with the Nforce 2 chipset's onboard sound.

Onto thermal compound. Its a compound that goes between the heatsink and the CPU, that once it settles helps keep the CPU cooler. I like Artic Silver Ceramique myself, because its nonconductive.

You didn't mention any ram? What kind were you planning on getting and how much? I'd suggest atleast 512mb of some kind of Corsair RAM. Also what about an operating system and a hard drive? For those I'd suggest Windows XP and I like my 80 gig but most people don't really need it, so I'd suggest a 40-60 gig 7200 RPM Seagate. I've read Seagate focuses on sound as well as performance unlike the other companies. Also what about a power supply? I'd go with a nice name brand 400 watt. Aspire, Enermax, and Kingwin are good. And one last thing. A monitor. I wouldn't go flat panel yet. The cheper ones aren't too good for gaming and CRT's are a lot cheaper for better quality.

Just my 2.5 overclocked cents (you take them and soak them in alcohol and it makes them go into the soda machines faster.:P)

Edited by Sly_C

Thanks Sly_c , for your input.

Let me address your advice I need some clarification, you mentioned

'get a Thermalright SLK-900a heatsink and use the same Thermaltake Smart fan and keep it even cooler.'

You mentioned Thermalright is that another brand? And Thermaltake smart fan do I buy that seperate or ???

haha sorry but I dunt know much about this stuff. Ok does a heatsink come with a fan or do I buy these 2 things seperate and fix them together? There seem to be sooo many uses for fans it gets confusing. I need all the fans in the comp to be as silent yet powerfull as possible. I run my comp for long periods of time and its seldom ever off, which is the way with most hardcore users I think.

With regards to the CPU, I prefer Intel but I go for performance and price overall and I would certainly look into that.

Graphics I am looking at ATI Radeon All in wonder 9800 (whatever is the top of the line for the all in wonders)

Sound card, what inbuilt chipset sound thingy were you refering too ? haha I dunt know much maybe you could provide some info on what that is about.

Optical drives yeah those were the speeds I was looking to get but what brand? my fren told me to go with lite-on cheap n good he said but I am not so sure so any input appreciated. I like things with good warranty and dunt flake out on me like everyone else.. ahha I like to moderate price and performance.

For RAM for some reason I thought kingston was the best ahha correct me if I am wrong... maybe someone can give me a few options.. also how many pin and all that there is a diff rite... what decides how many pin ram module i must use ?

Power supply I was looking at thermaltake too but I may look at other stuff.. my purpose is that this comp is to be ultra ultra quiet. N I heard that thermaltake's is quiet so any comments?

I dunt use the comp for gaming.. I use it for normal stuff and some movies sometimes... some music but I just like stuff to be of good quality LOL ahahah

I was looking at a 18 or 19 inch scree flat panel, it cost under 900 Canadian. But I am not sure yet

Also I saw on the thermaltake webpage there are heatsinks for ram modules... any good ?

Well I do not know for sure what my price range is I am flexible but of coz I prefer it to be as cheap as possible while retaining performance and quality, I would think 1500-2000 Canadian.

Thanks Sly_c ,  for your input.

Let me address your advice I need some clarification, you mentioned

'get a Thermalright SLK-900a heatsink and use the same Thermaltake Smart fan and keep it even cooler.'

You mentioned Thermalright is that another brand? And Thermaltake smart fan do I buy that seperate or ???

haha sorry but I dunt know much about this stuff. Ok does a heatsink come with a fan or do I buy these 2 things seperate and fix them together? There seem to be sooo many uses for fans it gets confusing. I need all the fans in the comp to be as silent yet powerfull as possible. I run my comp for long periods of time and its seldom ever off, which is the way with most hardcore users I think.

With regards to the CPU, I prefer Intel but I go for performance and price overall and I would certainly look into that.

Graphics I am looking at ATI Radeon All in wonder 9800 (whatever is the top of the line for the all in wonders)

Sound card, what inbuilt chipset sound thingy were you refering too ? haha I dunt know much maybe you could provide some info on what that is about.

Optical drives yeah those were the speeds I was looking to get but what brand? my fren told me to go with lite-on cheap n good he said but I am not so sure so any input appreciated. I like things with good warranty and dunt flake out on me like everyone else.. ahha I like to moderate price and performance.

For RAM for some reason I thought kingston was the best ahha correct me if I am wrong... maybe someone can give me a few options.. also how many pin and all that there is a diff rite... what decides how many pin ram module i must use ?

Power supply I was looking at thermaltake too but I may look at other stuff.. my purpose is that this comp is to be ultra ultra quiet. N I heard that thermaltake's is quiet so any comments?

I dunt use the comp for gaming.. I use it for normal stuff and some movies sometimes... some music but I just like stuff to be of good quality LOL ahahah

I was looking at a 18 or 19 inch scree flat panel, it cost under 900 Canadian. But I am not sure yet

Also I saw on the thermaltake webpage there are heatsinks for ram modules... any good ?

Well I do not know for sure what my price range is I am flexible but of coz I prefer it to be as cheap as possible while retaining performance and quality, I would think 1500-2000 Canadian.

No problem man thats what we're here for. Don't worry about being a n00b, everyone starts out as one.

Yeah Thermalright is another company that makes heatsinks. You can buy heatsinks and fans togethor or you can buy them seperately. So if noise is a consideration definately don't go with a Tornado fan. So yeah you'd buy the heat sink and Thermaltake Smartfan II seperately. There are only two real reasons for a fan to cool the case or to cool the some other specific component. Why would you prefer INTEL? Your going to look and see that the 2500+ is much cheaper and can get you jsut the same power. And if your not gaming much I don't really think you need a Radeon 9800. a chipset is Microchips that support the CPU. The chipset usually contains several controllers that govern how information travels between the processor and other components. and the chipset on the A7N8X deluxe i suggested is called the Nforce2 chipset and it has very good onboard sound. yeah lite-on makes good stuff one of my drives is right on and nothign has happened to it as of yet. yeah go with the flat panel if your not going to be gaming . yeah that power supply sounds pretty good. onto ram. kingston is good yeah , but corsair is good and so is mushkin. and as for heatsinks for ram you don't need it unless your going to oc your ram. also if you don't really know what your doing you might want to learn a lot more before you go and build a computer. because what are you going to do if you have problems with it? inot to be rude but it doesn't seem like you could fix it.

Edited by Sly_C

also if you don't really know what your doing you might want to learn a lot more before you go and build a computer. because what are you going to do if you have problems with it? inot to be rude but it doesn't seem like you could fix it.

Well having said that, would you agree Sly_C that jdaniel seek out a 'dirt cheap' computer powered by either an AMD socket 7 or Intel socket 370 processor... to 'tinker' with and build up his 'skills'.

As he researches, he can then experiment, with the absolute worse case senerio being :smack: then only being out-of-pocket a few dollars rather than a large wad? <_<

Ocing can be a large constant learning curve... :)

Caution: Member is biased towards retro technology :P

hehe thanks guys for the input. I have 2 frens into this kind of stuff too so I can get support from them when fixing the comp. SO maybe one day I'll just go out to buy all the parts and sit down and fix it haha.... but i need to get rid of my laptop first... :P

Well having said that, would you agree Sly_C that jdaniel seek out a 'dirt cheap' computer powered by either an AMD socket 7 or Intel socket 370 processor... to 'tinker' with and build up his 'skills'.

As he researches, he can then experiment, with the absolute worse case senerio being :smack: then only being out-of-pocket a few dollars rather than a large wad? <_<

Ocing can be a large constant learning curve... :)

Caution: Member is biased towards retro technology :P

yeah I definately would agree with that.

jdaniel Posted on Dec 8 2003, 01:32 PM

hehe thanks guys for the input. I have 2 frens into this kind of stuff too so I can get support from them when fixing the comp. SO maybe one day I'll just go out to buy all the parts and sit down and fix it haha.... but i need to get rid of my laptop first... 

but if they are n00bs like you how much help can they be? and what kind of laptop i am in the market for one?

aye your from canada? (im part canadian... aye :D) well for that much you should be able to build a pretty good pc. good shot goin w/thermaltake, they have yet to steer me wrong.. (minus the volcano 9+ i had that chipped the CPU die)

oh and glad to see a newcomer to the OC industry, welcome, and hopefully we can help you see what overclocking is all ab00t :D

oh, btw, always chip in the extra buck for a better quality part, you wont regret it in the long run.

Edited by Special_K