task manager issue

Ok I'm setting up a opteron 165 on a asus A8V-E deluxe.

bios shows recognizes dual core opteron and other software is reconizes the dual core opteron.

But task manager has got me confused it appears to not be showing dual core process. i have D/L'd amd dual cor drivers and done the other fixes for windows

taskmanagerlr4.jpg

with task manager like this I'm wondering if the dual core is working right or being seen by the OS.

It's probably using the single processor HAL and not the multiprocessor one. The best thing to do would be to reinstall Windows, but there's something else you can try if you want.

Go to Device Manager, expand Computer, and open up what's listed there. Go to the Driver tab, Update Driver, no on Windows Update, and keep digging through the advanced/manual install options. When it gives you the list of drivers to use, select the ACPI Multiprocessor PC one. Install, reboot, and see if it works :). If not, see if there's a BIOS update available.

None of the above folks. I'm going to tell you what the problem was, even if I feel like a total boob (can I say Boob?)

anyways come to find out after some more checking I found out the

A8V-E deluxe. pci express socket 939 does not support dual core:o yes what was suppose to be one of there top of the line socket 939 pci ex boards cannot support dual core. LOL.

Leave it to asus to not only produce this board but also say it supported dual core.

I can believe it :)

That was one of the 1st boards out (Via Chipset).

As I remember had a lot of idiosyncrasies with the SATA controller as well.

But I do think all NF4 939 boards supported Dual Processors

That's pretty strange, I thought every 939 board was capable of supporting dual core processors...:confused:

LOL So did I.

Yep soundx98 is correct about this board. out of date sata controller and the chipset they used on it seemed to be the only one that would not support dual core

And just for further clarification to this post for anyone that drops by to read.

Whenever upgrading from uno core to dual core it is "recommended" to reinstall the OS. But not absolutely necessary. I have done numerous upgrades on various NF4 939 boards without having to wipe the hdd and reinstall the OS.

If backing everything up and installing a fresh copy of Winbloz makes you feel better that's great, but again, not absolutely necessary.

double ditto on the OS reinstall, not needed at all when switching to dual core from single, i have done this many times....the Hal switch i have had to pull off once or twice, but OS reinstall is completely unnecessary, unless ones likes to waste time watching nose hairs grow....LOL

laterzzz.....