Sign in to follow this  
GuidoTheTiger

Please!!!! Help!!!!

I am stumped!

Im a competent practical builder, I know the procedures to follow to pretty much ensure a successful build without being technically literate!

PC works fine!

I have just replaced my NVIDIA FX5500 for a NVIDIA 6600GT. Installed latest recommended drivers from NVIDIA

On reboot I got no further than post beep then verifying pool data & loading from CD and thats it!

I look in the BIOS and the hard disk drive has disappeared! its not being recognized at all, no HDD no OS ergo no boot!

Stripped the PC back to minimum, (CPU, Graphic card, Memory etc) no problems, reconnected the HDD and back to no boot and HDD not being recognized!

Take the HDD out and using a second PC I format my HDD and prepare it for a clean installation.

Back in the original PC and I install a full winXPpro no problem. Obviously you will realise the hard drive is now being registered in the BIOS.

So winXPpro is in internet is sorted and I download SP2 and all the security fixes etc, which requires numerous reboots, all no problem. I download and install the latest drivers for the graphics card and I reboot and its deja vu!

no boot! hard drive disappeared!

ah ha! you all cry its those damn graphic card drivers! Im asking IS IT? would a corrupted or incorrect graphic card driver prevent boot up? AND make the hard drive disappear? is there something much more critical happening? or do I just install a slightly older driver for the GPU and hope its more stable?

Everything points the GPU but I would welcome any advice you could offer

sometimes the simple thing is just TOO simple!

Have you tried a fresh install on a different HDD? I'd say it's quite possible that part of your current drive is corrupted; HDD is probably on it's last leg.

I think i am just about to get flamed. But an £9/$18 PSU is not going to help matters when the proper drivers take over your GPU. I know you are going to say " it works up to that point". But of course it dos'nt past that point. Try one of the reccommended PSU's.

Hardrives dissapering is a classic symptom of a bad PSU.

I think i am just about to get flamed. But an £9/$18 PSU is not going to help matters when the proper drivers take over your GPU. I know you are going to say " it works up to that point". But of course it dos'nt past that point. Try one of the reccommended PSU's.

Hardrives dissapering is a classic symptom of a bad PSU.

Very true; I didn't notice the PSU the OP is using.

thanks for the help!

I will investigate a new PSU as soon as I can

the 6600GT has an additional power supply requirement, so until I get the more capable PSU I will go back to the FX5500

again thanks for your help