Sign in to follow this  
Mike1161

8800 GTS Temps

I ran mem test for 12 hours without any errors. Tonight I will run orthos on both processors and see what happens.

I have my GPU fan speed at 100% full time since its not very load and I prefer lower temps.

I updated the drivers to the latst Beta 169.01

mine are the 169.12 on Vista 64bit.

Are you having any problems? These things can take up to 80+

but i like having mine cool

Ok, 8 hours of Prime95 torture testing on both processors, CPU temps stayed at 51 C and recovered back to 38 C, no errors.

Confused... now what?

Is your PageFile big enough and is it on the same drive as windows? It may not be an issue but the pauses in gameplay can be due to the game being on the same HDD as the pagefile and/or the OS. Then maybe a reinstall of the games, if you do save all your configs before though. A good defrag couldn't hurt either

Try running DFT to test your hdd. If it's not that, you might have to consider it's your motherboard that's giving out.

When playing CoD4 my system locks up sometimes during game play. My GFX card temps have been reaching high 60s C, low 70s C regularly when playing. I have seen temps as high as 76 at times. The card idles in the low 50s C.

I have already ordered an HR-3 Plus and fan in an attemp to lower the temps, but I am not sure that temp is my problem. Any ideas?ww

I have had similar lockups in the past & most of them were memory related. I have also had several systems that prime forever & fall over in 3DMARK or gaming.

Before you spend any money it might be an idea to slacken your RAM timings a little (trcd, tras & trfc are my usual suspects) & also try a little more voltage too. (cant hurt to try)

My 8800GTS overclocked to 617 x 955 idles in the high 40's early 50's & regularly runs in the high 60's to mid 70's during COD 4 using ATI tools temp display.

CN :)

As a little experiment, please consider removing your X-Fi and running with just the onboard sound for a while. See if the lock ups continue.

Also, the suggestion to move your page file to a separate hdd is a good one for an overall performance improvement.

And as always (and as already recommended) keep your hdd defragged and cleaned up.

I moved my page file to my rarely used HDD. The HDDs don't need defraging as all are less than 4%. The game doesn't pause... it locks up.

What is DFT? I can/will try without the X-Fi card. How would I know if its the MOB? As for resettings my RAm timing, they are running at stock and I really don't know much about OCing PCs and would perfer not to try at this time.

If Memtest and Orthos both pass extended stress sessions then there isn't much reason to go boogering around in your BIOS unless you know what you're doing. Run a few passes of 3DMark 2003 and see if she locks up on you.

If your rig passes a couple runs of 3DMark 2003, then you should consider uninstalling the game and reinstalling it again (as well as reporting the findings of your experiment pulling the X-FI)

I don't have 3DMark 2003, but I do have 2006 and I score 9057 with the newest drivers. Up from 8500 with the beta drivers that came out in September I will try out the idea of removing the X-Fi card tomorrow. Today I have not had any problems playing so maybe the new drivers fixed something. ?????